squealing starter

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kingcreaky
80-90 Mem No: 9722

squealing starter

Post by kingcreaky »

Hi All

Although the engine has only really just gone in, and I havent even properly used it yet. There was a point that the engine would turn over then start

once started, it sounded like the starter teeth where not disengaging from the flywheel, so I took the starter off to inspect.

no sign, so I put it back on exactly the same way it came off (and since on and off about a million times) but now, you can hear the solinoid tick, and the starter try its best, but its as if its lost all of its umph to turn the engine over, instead it sits there squealing

so, I took the massive 740 starting amp battery out of my mates diesel sprinter. still making the squealing

i replaced all the battery terminals and cables with brand new cables and terminals right the way through - still squealing

if you take the starter out, connect it up, it spins up as you would expect.

so to rule out the engine being siezed, I jacked one side up turned the wheel when engine was in gear and the engine does indeed turn over

therefore im assuming the starter is borked? fair assumption?

problem is, I dont know what starter to buy to replace it (as there are no identification numbers etc on it)

Could somebody please try and answer the following for me

1.) What is the above starter off? will any tdi starters on ebay fit?

2.) is there a different between the starter on a 1.6td and a 1.9tdi (the bell housings look the same?)

is there any adaptations you need to do to make the starter fit properly? (but i dont know what bits and why?) perhaps ive fitted it wrong? Ive heard people talk about grinding bits down to clear but im not sure if this is relevant

the engine is a 1.9tdi (fly by wire) out of a 97 sharan. Ilthough I cant make out the engine code, I think its AHU? or maybe 1y?

your help would be greatly appreciated.. Id like to get a new starter for the weekend...