Modifying a 1.6D CS to 1.6TD JX????

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mbiker_83
80-90 Mem No: 0

Modifying a 1.6D CS to 1.6TD JX????

Post by mbiker_83 »

Hi all,

I’ve just signed up to this site and a bit new to this, although I have read through most of the posts about the T25 diesel engines and changing, I would really appreciate some of your thoughts and advice.

I have a 1.6D (CS) which is in need of some TLC, possible rebuild or trade in for a recon and from what I’ve read most change to the aaz engines, but I was wondering whether it is feasible to modify my CS to a TD JX to get the extra horses? What mods would I need and would my existing gearbox be ok, as is 4 speed?

Guessing I need the following –

1. Turbo
2. 1.6TD JX exhaust and exhaust manifold.
3. 1.6TD (JX) airbox and piping.
4. found this at brickwerks for sump

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... yword=sump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the above isn’t a good idea, I assume I would need to change my gearbox for anything bigger like an aaz, or would it just simpler to just trade in my old 1.6 for a recon 1.6 CS, to get me back on the road quicker?

Any help much appreciated, cheers! :ok

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: Modifying a 1.6D CS to 1.6TD JX????

Post by camper »

A normal aspired 1.6 CS engine has no cooling oil jets under the cylinders. Turbo engines run hot dont do it.

mbiker_83

Post by mbiker_83 »

Cheers for that camper, hadn't realised that one and didn't think it could be quite that easy!

If I did manage to get a jx engine would my 4 speed box cope? Guessing I could be trashing it abit in 4th?! Would it be costly to have the box modified?

Cheers

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

mbiker_83 wrote:Cheers for that camper, hadn't realised that one and didn't think it could be quite that easy!

If I did manage to get a jx engine would my 4 speed box cope? Guessing I could be trashing it abit in 4th?! Would it be costly to have the box modified?

Cheers

It is more common to go for a 1y. It would be cheaper to change the box rather than modify it.

I had a van with a 1y on the original box and anything over 50mph made it scream. After seeking advice I bought a DK from a 2l Aircooled as the gearing is really tall. I paid £250 for it.

From memory you should be getting 70mph at around 3300rpm.

Never got round to fitting it though as I sold the van.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Forgot to say the DK is for an early van, which I pressune yours is. If it isn't the linkage will be different.

Also you will need to swap the bell housing and i think the input shaft too.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

mbiker_83

Post by mbiker_83 »

Thank you all for your advice, really is much appreciated.

I have now got my hands on a 1Y engine and going to attempt to fit this. Expect I be back for more help!

Cheers all.