AAZ, Am i missing something?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Essex Nige
80-90 Mem No: 5870

AAZ, Am i missing something?

Post by Essex Nige »

Here we go...

I've just changed the head gasket on my AAZ, and now back together i've lost power, prior to the head off it would bumble along at 120 kph, i can only just get to 110 kph, it also labours in 4th, ease off the gas and the labouring stops i've checked the timing and all marks seem as they should be...

any ideas?

regards

Nige
1988 syncro 1.9 AAZ, 1984 Doka 1.9 1Y, 1980 Aircooled camper 1.6CT (resting)

Syncronaut Member: 149 :D

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another..."- Luciano de Crescenzo

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: AAZ, Am i missing something?

Post by ELVIS »

I would check timing again.

When you say checked marks , did you also mark pump in orientation to mounting bracket if you took pump off to do it? Might be as simple as pump timing.

If you left pump on to check timing , paying particualr attention to pump pulley. Even with a really good locking pin , under tension the pulley can move pulling the pin pi$$ed. It is quite easy to get it a tooth out, especially if working on your own.

Also have you fitted the pipe to the LDA properly and not forgotten , or caught/split in when removing engine?

How does it idle and accelerate thr gears? What sort of idle noise is it making ?

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

ELVIS wrote:I would check timing again.

When you say checked marks , did you also mark pump in orientation to mounting bracket if you took pump off to do it? Might be as simple as pump timing.

If you left pump on to check timing , paying particualr attention to pump pulley. Even with a really good locking pin , under tension the pulley can move pulling the pin pi$$ed. It is quite easy to get it a tooth out, especially if working on your own.

Also have you fitted the pipe to the LDA properly and not forgotten , or caught/split in when removing engine?

How does it idle and accelerate thr gears? What sort of idle noise is it making ?

Accelerates fine apart from 4 where it labours, idles fine just like it should, also when you hit a hill its rubbish, have to change down and its gutless...

LDA pipe im takin is he one from the inlet manifold to the pump? if so thats fine and very new... when i line the marks up in the flywheel, the pin goes straight in not even a little wiggle... i never removed the pump so no worries there :ok

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another..."- Luciano de Crescenzo

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

When you changed the head gasket did you replace it with the same notches or diffrent to the blown one?.

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

camper wrote:When you changed the head gasket did you replace it with the same notches or diffrent to the blown one?.

I went to gsf and asked for a head gasket for an aaz, and fitted what they gave me.
But what I did notice was the new gasket was like 3 sheets of metal which seemed different to the one I took off but I just assumed it was like an up graded one?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

how many notches in the original/new gasket ?

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

Aidan wrote:how many notches in the original/new gasket ?

The old one I don't know cos I binned it, not sure on the new one but will look when I get home... Where do I find these notches?

camper

Post by camper »

Essex Nige wrote:
Aidan wrote:how many notches in the original/new gasket ?

The old one I don't know cos I binned it, not sure on the new one but will look when I get home... Where do I find these notches?
. If you binned the old head gasket and carnt find it.The option is to get a dial gauge and measure the amount how much the piston protudes at TDC from the block.Aidan will proberly enlighten you more but basicaly the thickness of the head gasket relates once fitted to how much the piston protudes from the block and cylinder head without valve interference @TDC and giving the correct compression to various engine configarations of the same code.The notches or holes can be found on the edge of the gasket on a tab.

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

well i'll be buggered, looked in the garage in a rubbish bag that i thought i'd dumped and low and behold the old gasket, with a single hole/notch, and the new one, well that has 3... so i take it thats my problem?

camper

Post by camper »

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... gory_id=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here is a link to where you can get a good quality and correct one notch gasket.The three hole one from GSF will have lowered the compression ratio and proberly effected the performance.1 notch - 1.53mm thick to suit piston protrusion of .66mm to .86mm.Did you have the head skimmed when you replaced the head gasket?.

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

camper wrote:http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... gory_id=59 Here is a link to where you can get a good quality and correct one notch gasket.The three hole one from GSF will have lowered the compression ratio and proberly effected the performance.1 notch - 1.53mm thick to suit piston protrusion of .66mm to .86mm

Great stuff :ok

The only thing is my part number is different, i have 028 103 383 AL not BH, does this matter?

camper

Post by camper »

I carnt help you about the part number i suggest you inquire with the brickwerks.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

AL suffix is original, superseeeded by the three layer version

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Nige, is it abit more shuddery in forth gear ?

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

jed the spread wrote:Nige, is it abit more shuddery in forth gear ?

jed

I wouldn't say shuddery, just labours with a little viberation and not all the time, just while your trying to accelerate

Nige