What's this diesel engine?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jetpacjimmy
80-90 Mem No: 9342

Post by jetpacjimmy »

My JX decided to throw it's toys out of the pram in a major way this morning, after a bit of googling looking for a new engine I stumbled across a single cab for sale locally with this engine which the owner claims is a 1.9d out of an 01 Toledo. Sound/look about right?

I'm now wondering if it's worth scrapping single cab with the JX and going with this instead.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: What's this diesel engine?

Post by billy739 »

may be interested in the jx and single cab when your done.

defo a later engine in the cab , but you will need to check codes to see which it is.

can you drive the cab? compare it to the jx which is a stoneage engine

Grumpy Midget

Post by Grumpy Midget »

The Engine in Question is a 1.9D Engine Code 1Y.
If you look under the Left/hand side of the engine block you will see lettreing stamped into the engine block casing, indicating 1.9D/TD

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

And in my opinion would be a step backwards to fit in your van if its got a JX in it.

Unless of course it has 1.9TD stamped on it and then you can use the turbo on it...

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

jetpacjimmy

Post by jetpacjimmy »

ok, so a bit confused now. Everything I read said the 1Y was a good upgrade from the JX. Is this not the case? After driving the 1Y pickup I can see it doean't really go any faster but it does seem more solid at higher speeds. Well my JX is wrecked anyway so I could turbo the 1Y but then my MPG would suffer for not much of an appreciable gain power wise? Or I've seen an AAZ for a couple of hundred, is that night and day from the 1Y?

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Post by caveman »

It's a 1Y. It can be modified for not too much coin to be as quick or quicker than a stock JX .
A proper 1Y intake with 2 1/2 " pipe and hose to be it have as much intake as it wants, dual outlet exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust with 2 1/2 tubing also. Then modify the fuel pump and it'll definitely put out more torque than a JX. The one in the photo has the 1.6 non turbo intake/ air filter. Not nearly enough for it's capacity.
BTW the engine in the photo is in danger of having a run away with the breather hose connected directly to the valve cover . It needs some kind of positive crankcase breather [ big black hockey puck] like that which usually resides there.

jetpacjimmy

Post by jetpacjimmy »

great info thanks caveman. Excuse my ignorance but what's a run away?

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Post by caveman »

That's when a diesel starts to burn other things like crankcase oil brake cleaner [don't ask how i know] etc.
In this case what can easily happen is if the engine is worn,or even in a T25 like yours, a long hard right hand turn can make enough oil pool up into the head,then once it gets into the hose off the top of the valve cover, it'll flow straight into the air intake and BAM -uncontrolled fuel [motor oil] will cause the engine to rev until it blows up. even turning off the ignition will not stop it.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

No but if yur quick then stall the bugger.
was standing talking to a mate in Leeds the other day and heard this sound like well hard to describe but it was a golf of 02 origin and it was of like the clappers with an awsome sound akin to the bottom end gone (it was running away so to speak) and I have never seen so much smoke and oil exit an exhaust , he travveled all of 100yds and it stopped,
then he restarted and I have again not seen a smoke generator like it, travveled 20' and died. suspect a bit more than consuming its own oil though. spoke to the guy after the smoke cleared and he said he couldnt stop it... :shock:
mike

jetpacjimmy

Post by jetpacjimmy »

ok will get that sorted asap! Does anyone have experience of doing the 1Y inlet manifold work as described by caveman and be willing to do it for me?
Thanks.