Major Engine Troubles

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Toff54

Major Engine Troubles

Post by Toff54 »

Hi guys really gonna need some help in the future I feel here's my problem.

Heading down to cornwall for the weekend kids in tow notice the temp gauge creeping up stop at services have a quick check in the engine bay all looks alright have a little snack let her cool off a bit. Half hour later keys in the gauge reading norm temp so set off. After about half hour temp gauge reading v hot stop at the soonest layby and she cuts out. have a look in the engine bay to be greeted by the steam and a huge tear in on of the rad water pipes. Ahh easy fix I was thinking!! wrong new hose on pour some more water in and it just pours out the bottom. try to turn it over and water comes spurting out the head gasket. Oh dear. we got it to a garage whos had the head off and it gets worse the head is cracked in two places also the piston cylenders and scored on the inside of 2. new engine the guys says. No holiday and 130 bucks for 2 nights stay in a prem inn while we found out what the news was.

anyway sorry to go on. I'm obviously gutted what i really wanna know is will a 1998 1.9 td engine fit in my 1987 1.6td joker would really appreciate any help you can give me we're back home in York and our van is down in Tamworth wanna get her back home asap she's our daily driver.

Toff54

Re: Major Engine Troubles

Post by Toff54 »

Sorry the 1998 engine is out of a golf

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

sorry to hear of your troubles. This forum will be a great resource for you, but you need to find out the engine code of the golf first - some are easier than others. Chances are the engine's an 1z, AHU or AFN tdi, in which case there's plenty of info on here, but if you want to get it done by a garage, then be prepared to spend a decent amount to get it done properly! If it's AAZ it's cheaper and a bit simpler to put in.

Ewen

Toff54

Post by Toff54 »

ewenmaclean wrote:Hello,

sorry to hear of your troubles. This forum will be a great resource for you, but you need to find out the engine code of the golf first - some are easier than others. Chances are the engine's an 1z, AHU or AFN tdi, in which case there's plenty of info on here, but if you want to get it done by a garage, then be prepared to spend a decent amount to get it done properly! If it's AAZ it's cheaper and a bit simpler to put in.

Ewen

Thanks for the info i did speak with him earlier to make sure it wasn't a tdi cause the injectors i gather do come with complications ie. ecu needed and also ignition key . I'll have to call him again in the morn to get the code from him. I'll keep you posted.

I assume that if I could find an engine like for like it would be alot cheaper just thought i'd try take advantage of a bad situation. You know the engine code for what I've got in at the mo again 1987 1.6 td

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello

your current engine is most likely a JX code. Lots of posts on here discussing pros and cons of engines - you'll probably find that for the price of finding and refitting a JX at a decent garage, you might as well try and source an AAZ - that'd be my opinion anyway. Speak to Syncronutz, for example, about pricing for AAZ conversions - they've done it loads of times and know everything about it and will do it all properly for peace of mind.

If it is an AAZ you've found I think you're lucky as I think they're getting pretty rare now - make sure you check it for pulley wobble though....

Ewen

Toff54

Post by Toff54 »

Thanks Ewan. all this info is really useful. gonna speak to sycronuts later today. spoke to the other guy who's got the 1.9 td he's gonna check what code is etc and if not hopfully have a look if he's got a jx.

thanks again

Mat

Toff54

Post by Toff54 »

All being well i have secured myself a 1.6 td jx only reconditioned 20k earlier with 110k on the clock.

I know the mileage ain't brilliant but the price is and I get to have my van back sooner rather than later. also bring my old engine home with me and have a load of spares for the future. think I've got a bit of a result there!!!!

Thanks for your advice ewenmaclean

A very happy Toff54 :D

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

well done - sounds like you did well. I hope you're back on the road soon!

Ewen