oil pump jx/sb

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eltee
80-90 Mem No: 8417

oil pump jx/sb

Post by eltee »

just fitted a gtd "sb eng code" to my syncro, it starts and runs, but the oil light is flashing after about 20 seconds.
my question is i put my jx oil pump and pick up pipe onto the engine, and am wondering if i should have left the sb pump on instead. also the oil switches were different pressure on the sb to the jx, and i swapped the switches for my jx ones. i think i should have left the pump and switches to the sb. i have checked the part number of the two pumps, and they are different. i assume the sb runs at a different pressure.

any views will be much appreciated

eltee
91 syncro ex bundeswehr

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: oil pump jx/sb

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I'm surprised it thinks it's got low oil pressure after 20 seconds..... Could be that you need the SB body and JX pick-up - I'm no expert on that bit I'm afraid.

Might be worth eliminating simpler to solve problems:
Have you isolated which switch it is that's causing the low oil pressure? Does it only happen when you rev over 2000 for example? Do you have an alternator signal correctly to the clocks? If it thinks it's over 2000 rpm and the high rev oil pressure switch doesn't earth then it might do this, and possibly your buzzer is disconnected.... just a thought.

Ewen

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: oil pump jx/sb

Post by Aidan »

if in doubt with an unknown engine then put a wet gauge on to find out what the real op is then go from there, if the wiring hasn't been changed and the senders swapped across then you could spend time checking things only for it to be a duffer - just my experience I spent days over months chasing a non existant fault in the wiring when actually the newly rebuilt engine had fa op when hot