HELP WITH TDI INSTALL (1z engine?)

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kingcreaky
80-90 Mem No: 9722

HELP WITH TDI INSTALL (1z engine?)

Post by kingcreaky »

Hi.
spent today, driving to bristol, when i got there... drove my first t25! :D happy with the drive, so purchased the engine, gearbox and exhaust and drove home.

got a question to start with, I have looked on wiki, other posts. hope it hasnt already been asked but..

I have got EVERYTHING from donar t25. well except I completely forgot about the throttle pedal, as its fly by wire... il get the guy to post this up to me.. or il ring a breakers or something...

I removed the gearbox and gear linkage. The only obvious difference I can see between my 4 speed gear linkage and this five speed gear linkage is the gear wand on the 5 speed donar has like a funny elbow at the end of the stick.. is there any other difference? or can I use the existing 4 speed gear linkage with the 5 speed?
Last edited by kingcreaky on 15 Jun 2011, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: 1.9 Sharan / Galaxy

Post by silverbullet »

??? Maybe a re-explaination of what you're trying to do with some pics would help :wink: What's this got to do with a 1.9 Shazaxy?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

from a previous post, i think he has just bought a 1.9tdi out of a T25. I thought he was getting a TD
So maybe engine was from shalaxy?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

hi all.

sorry to be vague (above)

let me explain. somebody I know was breaking a t25. the t25 had a sharan 1.9 td engine in it.
with a five speed gearbox

I bought the lot off him, and on friday after a test drive... I went and removed it all

On arrival, the first thing i noticed was the loom. this looked complicated!!! a huge mass of wires, stuffed under the bed!

Essentially what had been done, from what I can tell, is its running on its loom from the donar car

essentially, the rest of the loom (and donar car fuse / relay box, ecu etc) where in the

back of the van, a massive whole had been drilled in the bulkhead, where all the engine sensor

cables go, a cable goes to the throttle pedal (which is fly by wire). ive since bought one from breakers and the colours match) and that entire

loom appears to be fed by two of the original t25 wires... a big thick one that goes to the

battery positive, and a thin white wire with a red stripe..

(What does the white/red cable do? I assume its ignition live?)
would you say the above is about right? I guess the ecu controls the injector pump, turbo actuator etc, and all the loom needs to operate is battery positive and ignition live (which Ive assumed is that white/red wire)

The engine is all in now... but im debating what to do about that loom... (i cut even bigger whole in the t25 before it was scrapped, and pulled the entire donar car loom with the engine). so I could technically put it back in that way). but Id prefer to simplify things

can I just bolt my original injector pump off the 1.6td onto this 1.9aaz and use the standard throttle cable?

anybody wanna come and wire it up for me?? :D

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

Can anybody recomment any companies local to leicester where I can take the bus for them to sort the wiring out.

Alternatively, I understand there is a show at Wymeswold this weekend.?

Im sure I have everything in the correct place but ive got no fuel out of the injectors, so Im assuming ive got something wrong as the electronic injector pump is clearly not getting a signal from the ecu or something like that.

Matt

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

have you tried posting on brickyard as well?
or call previous owner, he might be able to help. Find your engine code too, AHU, 1Z ect

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

Hi All

Get the impression I may have annoyed a few of you with pointless questions. Questions that to those of you who have been in it for a while seem silly but I wouldnt ask unless I new the answer.

Ive tried my hardest to find an engine number, but i cant make it out. ive tried brushing it but i cant make out the first character. of course not helped by the fact its in the engine bay now, and i cant get too it! I can tell the engine number finishes with 97 so I assume its a 97 engine, so I think its one of the first real tdi's as its got an electronic throttle and pedal

The engine is a 1.9tdi. Its got written in ink on the cam cover '1.9 Galaxy sold' so I assume it was originally bought from scrap yard.

Like ive said above, Ive drove it, so I know there isnt anything too wrong, but I just cannot get it to start. Im sure its wiring.

I found a really useful thread on a t4 forum, where a guy goes into real detail on the loom

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61313

Since my first attempt, I have removed the loom again, stripped it down (following the instructions above - despite this being a sharan/galaxy loom it was supprisingly similar to the golf loom described above, i also have the 68 pin ecu). Now with the knowlefge of what all the ecu pins do. Ive made some real progress!. ive got it all connected again, and ive concluded via internet research that earthing pin 42 (ECU Switched Ground) I think this effectively turns the ignition on. Lots of ecu pins become live, and some nice sounds come from the injector pump.

Its all in 'test mode' so ive got nothing connected to the van loom, its all working off lives ive taken from the battery for now

im turning it over by simply putting a live cable on the started solenoid.

the engine turns, ive bled the diesel to and from the injector pump. but Ive got absolutely no diesel coming to the injectors.

Like I say, I assume this is because ive got something wrong somewhere, but Ive scoured the internet all day and found nothing to help me any further.

I could do with a wiring layout for terminals G1, G2 and F for the loom fuse box

I could also do with a starting procedure.. for example what would of happened when the key was turned, to the various stages

although the immobilser, key coil and key are still in the format they were in the donar vehicle (all taped together) I am now worried the immobiliser is stopping me from starting the engine

Im sorry to keep asking questions, especially if this is a stupid one. I would really appreciate any advice anybody may be able to give me!

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Hi, sorry your not up and running yet. Did you try brickyard? Dont think you've upset anyone?
Maybe change title to"help with tdi install"
Good luck!

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: HELP WITH TDI INSTALL (1z engine?)

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

you might find this wiring diagram useful for the 68 pin ECU:

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon ... _LONG4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you absolutely need a 109 relay which powers up all the sensors - this is relay J317 on the diagram.

On the tdi there are two things that will cause no diesel to the pump - as usual the fuel shut off solenoid needs powering up, but also the Quantity adjuster and Metering unit on the pump itself needs a sensible signal or it won't allow any fuel out. Have you got a 109 relay? If not get a newer grey one - apparently they're better than the old ones which are prone to overheating and melting internal solder connections.

Hope that helps a bit - good luck sorting it out.

monsho
80-90 Mem No: 1750

Post by monsho »

oof, let yourself in for a lot more work going with a TDi ...

how did the gearbox feel when you drove it - has it been upgraded? Did you get up to cruising speed or was it a trip round the block?

Wiring is a big job, sounds like a bit of a nightmare if the whole loom was just shoved under the seat. Tim at Ultimate Engineering could do you a loom - he'd need yours as a donor though...

Nope, you can't bolt your 1.6 TD pump onto a TDi - TDi pumps operate at much higher pressures, it'll run, but not right.

Did you get everything from the donor - ignition key for example? was that in with the loom?

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

Hi all. thanks so much for your replys. that wiring loom is complicated! but I think i understand it now

Lets assume, it is wired correctly. When I earth out ecu pin 42, (following that wiring diagram) Everything goes live which I think is indeed triggering the 109 relay (as mentioned by ewenmaclean) admitedly all im doing here is bypassing whatever relay is flicked (i assume by the ignition switch) which in turn earths out pin 42 and turns the ecu on (as by the looks of it, it does other things?)

there is a promsing ticking noise coming from the injector pump, when pin42 is earthed and I really get the impression its game on...

so im turning the engine over, and I have the injector pipes unbolted from the injectors with perhaps a 1cm gap between the end of the pipe, and the injector and im expecting to see diesel spray out of the pipe... but there is nothing so on that assumption im assuming something is wrong?

ive never worked on diesels before, can you confirm this is something I would see assuming everything electronically is correct?

does the fuel cut-off cable go live when its engaged or is it earthed out when its engaged?

also... I havent got any other signal cables plugged in.. ive literatlly got the big round bank connector, two clipped sensors next to it, and the fuel injector cable plugged in.. things like the alternator, the turbo waste gate valves and the inlet MAF sensor is all disconnected that wont make any difference to it starting wil it?

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello again,

There are a few basic problems with starting diesels - you have to prime the pump - it's got a long way to go from the tank - I would get some clean diesel in a bottle and run the pipe to the pump directly from there - eliminate any supply problems lower down.

The fuel cut-off solenoid is powered by the black and white wire which provides power when the fuel is flowing.

Monsho asked a crucial question as well - did you get the transponder key and barrel and immobilser module? If not your starting problems could be the immobiliser kicking in, although I *Think* this normally exhibits itself with a it cutting out after a turn or two...

good luck

Ewen

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

my bad, sorry i was meant to reply to that.

yes it has come with a white box. with two terminals one terminal has 6 cables the other terminal has two. the one with two goes to the transponder & key and the six white cables that come out of the other terminal all go somewhere except two of them... which are just wangling in the wind... not sure if I have done that or previous owner..

:D

kingcreaky

Post by kingcreaky »

kingcreaky wrote: have the injector pipes unbolted from the injectors with perhaps a 1cm gap between the end of the pipe, and the injector and im expecting to see diesel spray out of the pipe... but there is nothing so on that assumption im assuming something is wrong?

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

I'm not sure what that quote answers.... my point about priming, was to get the diesel to the pump in the first place - do you know there is a supply of diesel from the tank to the pump?