T25 1.9 DG to the AAZ conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Duncs
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 1.9 DG to the AAZ conversion

Post by Duncs »

Hello all

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice on the the conversion. We had the 1.9 DG engine to begin with and have had the AAZ 1.9td engine fitted. It now feels like it is revving far to high. Also it feels like the clutch is slipping. Do I need to change the gear box from the 4 speed to a 5 speed (if so any recommendations of which type to buy would be great) and what clutch would best suit this conversion? Does it make any difference that we are running our camper on 16" BRM alloys with 195/60 R15 tyres? I am a new boy at this stuff so would really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers Duncs

g60steve
Trader

Re: T25 1.9 DG to the AAZ conversion

Post by g60steve »

Wrong size tyres for starters and I gather you meant to say 15" BRM alloys rather than 16"....

You need at least 195/70/15 tyres....or even 195R15's to help lower the revs.

Oh and the BRM's shouldn't be fitted to a T25 either as the offset is too low.
There's no 'r' in bought!

Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Hello Steve

I should have joined this site before doing the conversion. The BRMs are only 8 months old and they were sold to me as T25 compatible, should have done more research! Could you recommend a good replacement? Any other Ideas on the clutch and gear box?

Cheers Duncs

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I am suprised the 1.9 dg petrol gearbox gear ratio is not suitable for the AAZ diesel engine.Can you find the code and tell us.The ratios&final drive can be looked up.

Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Hi

Thanks for your help, looks like the gear box is fine like you say, but I need to have a new clutch fitted, any ideas as to which is best? Also going to be changing my wheels! as Steve has said the the 15' BRMs aren't made for the T25 even though they sell them to new boys like me! The offset is 10. Lesson learn't! So next question would 17 x 7s with an ET of 40 be acceptable? Then use a 5mm - 10mm spacer? What are the benefits of a 15", 16" or 17" Or could anyone recommend a good alloy wheel that does what it should? I just want my van safe! Cheers Duncs