AAZ Question

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ChrisGrayT25
80-90 Mem No: 9500

AAZ Question

Post by ChrisGrayT25 »

All,

I have done a search on here and not found the answer I am looking for.

I have removed my AAZ from a Mk3 Golf and I am almost ready to plop it into the old girl, however, there is a pipe which runs from the vacumm pump to the turbo, via a switch, I do not know what this switch does and I aslo do not know what to do with it.

My diesel van was a non-turbo and so there is no wiring to connect it up to.

In addition, for cost saving and ease I am going down the AAZ turbo and manifold set up rather than changing it over to the JX manifold etc, however, is there any added benefit to extending the turbo drain pipe on the AAZ into the JX sump, or shall I leave it as set up currently running into the block?

I am all to aware that I will be manufacturing an exhaust to fit, but this does not bother me and can be fairly easily solved using the golf exhaust I have removed from the car.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Wolfsburg Willy
80-90 Mem No: 7287

Re: AAZ Question

Post by Wolfsburg Willy »

ChrisGrayT25 wrote:is there any added benefit to extending the turbo drain pipe on the AAZ into the JX sump, or shall I leave it as set up currently running into the block?

Hi Chris, I would recommend fitting the turbo to sump drain to avoid oil pooling in the turbo after shutdown and causing battleship style smoke screens on engine start. However if you are using the AAZ exhaust manifold you will find clearance between the engine mounting and the turbo at a premium. You can have Pirtek make you an oil drain pipe with a 90 degree knuckle fitting onto the turbo which will solve your problem. :D
You're my wife now Dave................

ChrisGrayT25
80-90 Mem No: 9500

Post by ChrisGrayT25 »

Lovely thanks Wolfsburg,

I will visit my hose and hydraulics peeps tomorrow and have a pipe made up.

Many Thanks

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

Hi Chris,
Lazy of me :oops: but useful link here: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/tdi-t ... oil#487419
hope it helps,
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive