golf gti of subaru?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bradders89
80-90 Mem No: 10541

golf gti of subaru?

Post by bradders89 »

Has any one put a golf gti moter in a wedge? If so could you share some advise on how to do it costs and how easy it is to do compared to a subaru engine? Thanks :D

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Re: golf gti of subaru?

Post by windysurfer »

If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

gtavalanche
80-90 Mem No: 9412

Post by gtavalanche »

It really depends on what your starting with, you ability, your budget, what you want to acheive i would say.

Ive got no experience of a suburu swap, but so far the AGG has been simple, and thats including a manual conversion. If your going suburu youve got think of the cost of an adaptor plate before you even start.
1985 Caravelle GTi AGG

bradders89

Post by bradders89 »

I have some idea on the cost of a subaru conversion and how easy it is to do, thort a golf engine being a vw engine it would be a fairly simple conversion and hopefully alot cheaper. Cant seem to find any advise on cost, problems ect. Luckerly for me i no a bloody good mecanic that is fairly cheep but bloody good at what he can do.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

golf Gti 2E or AGG any day

simple, goes very well, 30+ mpg
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Head to head against a 2.2 scoobie my 2l was the quicker van, gave better mpg and infinitely cheaper to install.

If you are staring with a diesel van all you basically need is the engine with ECU and loom, thats about it really.

Then price up full RJES conversion , then sort the sump etc etc etc. As Hutch will tell you when he helped the Belgium do his van- even parts like cam + tensioner were lots more. best part of £200 to do whole lot IIRC :shock:

Gti comes out head and shoulders winner IMHO.

mrhutch

Post by mrhutch »

EJ25 timing belt kit £130
Head gaskets x 2 (you'd be stoopid not to change these on any scooby) £130 for pukka cosworth engineered ones, £100 for standard

so we're already at more than I paid for my donor passat and you've not bought an engine!

bradders89

Post by bradders89 »

Guessin a gti is the answer then! what the best moter to go for age wise and what will i need, best gearbox, wireing ect. Currently running a 1.9 petrol.

mrhutch

Post by mrhutch »

easiest to start with a diesel - the 2E bolts straight in with a small tickle on the area above the nearside chassis rail..

Have a look over on the 'yard as suggested by windy, there's a few of us over there who will happily eulogise the benefits of the GTi conversion

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

ELVIS wrote:Head to head against a 2.2 scoobie my 2l was the quicker van, gave better mpg and infinitely cheaper to install.

If you are staring with a diesel van all you basically need is the engine with ECU and loom, thats about it really.

Then price up full RJES conversion , then sort the sump etc etc etc. As Hutch will tell you when he helped the Belgium do his van- even parts like cam + tensioner were lots more. best part of £200 to do whole lot IIRC :shock:

Gti comes out head and shoulders winner IMHO.

I'll race you in my 2.5! 35% more power over the 2.2 :-) The 2.2 is all about torque - it was THE benchmark for torque when they were new (late 80's early 90's) Try a race in both without excedding 3000 rpm :-)

Given the availability of the diesel parts you need for the VW conversion, it's sure to be cheaper to install. I assume the engines are plentiful too.

I went subaru, because VW engines are NOT common here in NZ, and Subarus are. I got a whole JDM 2.5 wagon for the NZ dollar equivalent of 180 pounds. plus the diesel parts just aren't here - diesels aren't big here.

I do enjoy the 165 HP though :-) Especially when you're doing 60 MPH, change down to 3rd, and get to 85MPH by the time you're passed a truck :-).

Plus, during day to day "Normal" driving, get MUCH better feul economy than the original 1.9 EFI WBX :-)

Any "modern" engine should give you these advantages though - the WBX was decrepit when it was released!

It'll be fun, whichever way you go :ok
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

i want more outta mine alreadyy (or 20v :twisted: )

101 on shatnav and another mile and a bit and i would have taken him out :mrgreen:

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

ELVIS wrote:i want more outta mine alreadyy (or 20v :twisted: )

Don't we all?!?! Doesn't matter what's in there, you'll always like Just a bit more :-)

You can NEVER have TOO MUCH power! You don't HAVE to use it, but you CAN! :ok
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

elsid
80-90 Mem No: 4623

Post by elsid »

Allanw wrote:
ELVIS wrote:i want more outta mine alreadyy (or 20v :twisted: )

Don't we all?!?! Doesn't matter what's in there, you'll always like Just a bit more :-)

You can NEVER have TOO MUCH power! You don't HAVE to use it, but you CAN! :ok

We don't all want more power, although it would be handy. I just want more MPG! With the current price of petrol and 22mpg I have to think twice about when I use the van. I have looked at the possibility of converting from petrol to diesel or swapping my van for a diesel. I think my best option is to go for an LPG conversion. I have a Mk4 Golf TDI 130bhp which has been nothing but trouble since I bought it but despite still over fuelling, lots of black smoke, it is still a lot cheaper to run than the van.
Sid
Sid from Bridgwater, Somerset, member No. 4623
1985 Autosleeper VHT 1.9 auto. (later called Trident) converted to run on LPG

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-2 ... 45fadba695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The engine has a weber and a vw inlet manifold would this fit in the engine bay?

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

nope.

Physical size of manifold puts it thr firewall towards shock/wheel.

Also carb will be working at 'wrong' angle so float will no work properly.