AHU TDi

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

AHU TDi

Post by syncropaddy »

Has anyone here fitted an AHU TDi engine to their van whilst retaining the full electronics?

Ta
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: AHU TDi

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I have all the electrics set up on mine - the only thing I don't use is the pin for the ambient temperature switch for the AC cutout....

Ewen

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

ewenmaclean wrote:Hello,

I have all the electrics set up on mine - the only thing I don't use is the pin for the ambient temperature switch for the AC cutout....

Ewen

Did you do all the wiring yourself or did you get assistance? I have the full loom and key, the lot
syncropaddy

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello again,

I had help initially from Russel resiting the loom and putting the ECU somewhere sensible and dry and making the essentials work, along with the diagnostics plug - this is the essential stuff I wanted to get someone who really knew what they were doing to sort out.

Since then I redid quite a lot on account of changing some bits and bobs, and connected all the bits you don't "need" to make it work. You've got some choices as far as the immobiliser and key go, but instead of burning out the immobiliser bit from the ECU I have mine all bundled together with the key and old ignition barrel next to the ECU. I really don't think it's that hard - I just followed this diagram exactly:

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon ... _LONG4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anything in particular you need to know? Rjes does some brackets and vss which work for the tdi so you can get cruise control. Lots you can do to fiddle with it too once it's going and you have vag-com set up.

Ewen

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Thats a good diagram. I assume I dont need very much of that loom. Will I need the fusebox as well? Do I need to invest in a VAG-COM?
syncropaddy

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello again,

you don't need that much no depending on how much functionality you want. The ECU tells you of faults on the euro versions by making the glow plug light blink - most commonly if one of your brake lights failed. I wired this up even this it's not strictly necessary since the ECU does nice post-heat phase stuff - I did find voltage drop a bit of a problem so have introduced the odd extra relay.

You don't need vag-com either, but it's really useful IMHO if things start running badly.

One common problem with these is the old-style 109 relay which powers up all your sensors - the early ones are susceptible to the solder connections melting when they get hot - the newer "grey" ones are better - I'd consider this while you're sorting out the loom!

Ewen