audi A3 engine conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: audi A3 engine conversion

Post by Cableguy »

Dickspanner, out of interest, why did you fit the dk box?
Is it stronger than the others?
I've changed the final drive in my box to 4.14.
The standard ratio in the 'fastest' standard aap box is 4.57.
I haven't fitted the box yet, hopefully that will happen next w/e.
It's not a cheap upgrade, £700 just for the parts, but should make the box much better suited to my engine.

nicko868
80-90 Mem No: 8398

Post by nicko868 »

yeah i have heard alot of good about the dk boxes and yeah i have been searching every where online for them and am going to have to try and have a ring round for a few :) and thank you that is great , how much would you be looking for it ? but what other boxes would you recomend ? :)

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

If you have a closer look at that gearbox table on the rjes site. The boxes with the lowest rpm at the given speeds would be the ones that you should be looking for.

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

At the moment I do not have a DK box fitted to the crewcab.

They are very strong and hence when I found one I purchased it off ebay. I had to travel a fair distance but needs must. I wanted to have a spare box incase mine went bang. I have no idea about the condition but I was going to get it rebuilt and regeared before I installed it. I know it was taken out of a running bus (well thats what the ebay advert said).

I can not remember the code of my current box but I think it is a 6 rib 4speed, (not DK though), I did quite a lot of mods as I had a 5 speed tunnel and had to modify a 4 speed selector mech to fit the 5 speed mounting (details are on my thread) never had any problems yet and it delivers about 230bhp through the box. (It will light up the tyres in first and second when you hit the loud pedal showboating) However I will say this, I did rebuild my driveshafts and upon assembly I locktighted every bolt together to the right torque settings etc and it had vibrated everything loose when I did a strip down.

When I reassemble it I will use aviation locktight to see if that solves the problem.

Best thing to do is match the box to your torque, bhp, amount of gears ou want and wheel size etc and what speed you want to cruise at on the motorway.

Its a bit of a science but theer are people out there who know there stuff. I am not one of them I took advice which was very kindly given to me and I am thankfull of all the advice I got during my build.

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

ah right we got told by the people who we bought this engine off that it wanted a boxthat runs with high revs so it can handle to torque of the engine and looking at that table mine runs quite low wether i have got the wrongend of the stick with him or what i dont know but that is what i got .. and aye it dose sound like a scince haha and i aint really too savvy with this area but i was not really sure where abouts to look for the advice. but i think i am goingto need a hell of alot of it as this build goes on ha. but thank you guys for all the advice so far :) much apreciated and it has been very helpful !

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

You got any photographs of where your project is upto at the moment including the engine and mounting plate etc.

Just be interested thats all as was thinking of a different version of engine in mine?

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

You want to be cruising at 70 MPH with revs between 2900 and no more than 3150. Dont bring the rpm to low as this will mean far more stress on your gearbox.
Russel

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

hi cheers for that but i have looked on rjes and there aint a gear box that will do that , it says mine cruises at 70 at 3772 and the lowest on there is like 3483

and at the moment i still have to pick the engine up so my van is on ramps atm haha :P

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Dunno if its the same on the dervs but petrol A3's need the clocks and keys or the immobiliser will never let it run!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

A3 has emobilizer in the clocks.
As to revs. This is why you either need a longer crown and pinion or 3rd and 4th gears.
Russel

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

yeah came across the emobilizer problem can bypass it though and ah right i see is there any wa of doing that on the chep or dose it have to be sent off to a special firm ? :)

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Not sure about the problem that can be with the Audi.

I know when I was messing about with my Diesel T4 I had a right mare with it.

My wiring Harness had 9 brains when I began with and I got it down to one brain.

Might be companies out there that could sort your problem out but you will have to do research into what they need to do as many people do not like messing with non standard stuff, eg stuff out of a car etc

Good luck

If you cant sort it out I can sell you a full completed Cosworth 2.9litre V6 conversion, all the work done, bolt it in, plug the harness in and hey presto 229bhp. I will even throw in a sink plunger to assist in pulling your eyeballs out from the back of your head. LOL.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

yeah i know with that its going to be hard with the wiring but there is a way round it but patiance is required haha. and i have found a dk box i think i am going to put that in because i cant really aford to have my box sent off and rebuilt ha. but even the bloke that i have bought this engine off recomends a dk box. and ah thanks haha sounds like a great offer but i dont think that would give the best fuel economy haha :) :P