Golf Gti into my syncro,

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

youde4
80-90 Mem No: 7225

Golf Gti into my syncro,

Post by youde4 »

Hi all,

So as above i think im going to go down the GTi route. Has any body got any pictures of one in their van?

I've read its one of the easiest/cheapest swaps for a bit better mpg and tuneability, and been told to look for a 2.0 16v from a mk2. How many people have gone down this route and what have been your experiences with them?

Cheers

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: Golf Gti into my syncro,

Post by garyd »

Hi Youde,
try looking at this thread on Brickyard - http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/mkiii ... page1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This details my conversion of MkIII GTi engine into 1990 TD syncro. There are some pictures included in there.

I would suggest you go for an 8 valve engine rather than 16 unless you really want to pull high revs to get the torque. The 8v AGG engine runs very well with the TD gearbox ratios and 205x14 or 215/75x15 tyres. 3rd gear is good from about 10mph to well beyond 50! Mpg is around 28-30.

MkIII engine will be much newer than MkII and will perform better (power, torque, economy, etc). Also probably more available now, too. Electronics is a bit more complex but easy enough when you know how (see below). Including the immobiliser also improves the security of the vehicle.

PM me your email address and I will send a bunch of documents about this conversion (including wiring details).

Good luck,
Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine