Diesel engine dilemma need PAS & A/C

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

shaka1976
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel engine dilemma need PAS & A/C

Post by shaka1976 »

Ok I've decided to keep my bus an 86 Carat but it needs a new engine as it's burning oil badly. It currently has 1X 1.9D engine fitted from a T4. The original converter must of had some skills, as he converted the van from a 2.1 petrol auto to a 1.9D manual. Though I would describe it as poor quality job but most of that is due to wiring and a lack of fine tuning.
My first problem is because of this I don't really understand what parts I have to work with. As my conversion won't be from an original engine to a 1.9D or 1.9TD. What is the best source to get part numbers? I have read the Gipsy TDi build, which is a start.

My second problem is I need the replacement engine to have power steering fitted, its a PAS bus but currently the pump is just sat in the engine bay connected but not mounted. I also need to fit air conditioning as temperatures regularly reach over 50oC inside the van, as I now live in Spain. Which makes driving unbearable.

So really my question is what engine do I fit? I had many years ago a 96 MK3 Golf GL 1.9 TDI that had both PAS and A/C but I have no idea of the engine, any ideas. Also my donor engine will most likely be sourced from a SEAT as they outnumber VW's about 20 to 1 here. Does that make an difference??