AAZ Not starting when hot

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

633ra

AAZ Not starting when hot

Post by 633ra »

I have just finished my first AAZ conversion and would like to thank you all for the information that i was able to use from this forum.

The only problem that i have is that the AAZ is not starting very well when the engine is warm!!
It starts first time evry time from cold but when the engine has been running for a while and is upto temp when i try to restart the glow plug light is not coming on on the dash and it turns over for 5 - 10 secconds before starting with a cloud of white smoke, i assume that the glow plug light should come on evry time??

Not sure what the fix could be??

I have a new glow plug relay fitted!!

Looking on here and other forums i have read that it could be diesel pump seals or injectors but not sure what to look at first

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
Richard

richardjallsop@hotmail.co.uk

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: AAZ Not starting when hot

Post by ringo »

I have read (see Colinthefox's post on the brickyard about his AHU conversion) that a 600 ohm resistor inline with the sensor will ensure the glow plugs come on when the engine is warm.

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

633ra

Post by 633ra »

Thanks Ringo!

Ordered the resistor will try it at the weekend.

Saved me messing around with the pump!!

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

Ditto to what ringo said
I had the same, disconnected the (blue?) wire from the temp sender that goes to the glowplug relay - glows come on every time now. Will get round to the 600ohm route as that is a bit more snazzy and is probably better for the life of them plugs
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive