Engine change

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bert2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine change

Post by Bert2 »

I wonder if any can give me some advice. I am thinking of up rating my engine, I have a 1.6 NA Diesel at the moment and as you are all aware its just not powerful enough these days and its getting tired, always starts first time though! I am in the process of picking which diesel to purchase so would appreciate all the help and advice I can get. Im looking at fitting an Ex Caddy engine 1.9 but am unsure of the best and easiest to fit I know the Wiki has an thread about fitting engines but thought I would ask, is it difficult fitting a 1.9 SDI engine? I can get the ECU/key its done around 183000 but has been serviced well and is a good runner,this would give me a little more power better than the 1.6, Im not looking for speed just not to have to go all the way down into 1st when going up hill! will the exhaust fit or will I have to manufacture on and will I have to alter the engine bay sides? cheers for your help :ok

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Engine change

Post by colinthefox »

There's loads of stuff in the Wiki. Have a good look in the alternative engines section.

[E D I T] opps sorry, you've already done that![/E D I T]

If you already have a non-turbo engine, then it makes a lot of sense to upgrade to a non-turbo, as many of the bits you already have can be re-used. The choices are basically the 1Y (from the Caddy etc), or the AEF (from a polo etc) both are very similar engines with a very similar fit, which is not much more difficult than changing like for like. Although the increase in power is, shall we say, "modest", you should get 30% more torque out of either.

This thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... KW=#413096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives details of the AEF swap, but most aspects of the change are similar with a 1Y, except for the injection pump and dipstick. The thread covers mods to the engine bay sides, and which exhaust to use. Have a read of the thread and come back with any specific queries you still have.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Bert2
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bert2 »

thanks for the advice I will check things out a bit more :ok

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Can't say much more than Colin apart from be sure to read his posts as they are excellent.

I personally would avoid sticking an engine in that has 183k on it - regardless of history. You can still get engines with a lot less miles on them quite cheap.

Good luck, Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.