Whats my van telling me...."Whooshing" noise..??

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sundial
80-90 Mem No: 4778

Whats my van telling me...."Whooshing" noise..??

Post by sundial »

Hopefully its only a minor problem but can anybody offer any advice or possible cause...??

My van is currently running an AAZ engine with the original AAZ diesel pump etc and the JX turbo / exhaust arrangement, the turbo was a rebuilt unit about 3 years ago....

Only recently, and it only seems to happen from cold until the engine has slightly warmed, each time i accelerate the is a whooshing noise coming from the engine, it seems to me like a 'pressure release valve' type of noise.

After are short time I cannot 'force' it to do it again by revving or otherwise, the van drives quite normal through the problem and after...

With my little knowledge to where it may be coming from I sort of suspect that vavle looking set on the end of the inlet manifold..??

I have checked around the manifold etc for any signs of leaks, split pipes etc and nothing can be seen, the turbo appears ok .

Am I waiting for a bigger problem to happen...new turbo or similar or is this a small problem with an easy repair or adjustment...

Any ideas welcome..

Thanks Keiron

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Re: Whats my van telling me...."Whooshing" noise..??

Post by Russel »

Sounds like the blow off valve is opening. This is the black unit on the front side of your inlet manifold.
It is adjustable but should only be done by someone whos in the know and can check your boost pressure with a gauge.
Russel

sundial
80-90 Mem No: 4778

Re: Whats my van telling me...."Whooshing" noise..??

Post by sundial »

Thanks Russel,

Would it be that this units faulty or out of spec. or could it be due to something else at fault..??

I've noticed this unit did not exist on the AAZ - can it be blocked off..?? - I was thinking that some day that I should get the AAZ inlet manifold reworked to fit the JX turbo etc set up, I would assume then it wouldn't exist..

Keiron