My EJ22 hell

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Re: My EJ22 hell

Post by Pepperami »

Rip it out buy a 2.5 Scooby and transplant!
fullthrottlejunkies.org

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Pepperami wrote:Rip it out buy a 2.5 Scooby and transplant!

In stock now one multiowner Legacy outback quadcam 2.5 with 6 weeks mot and 4 weeks tax :lol:

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Aidan wrote:

In stock now one multiowner Legacy outback quadcam 2.5 with 6 weeks mot and 4 weeks tax :lol:

Also a 2L 2 owner with 11 months MOT in stock.. :ok

Ian.. I'm sure something can be sorted out.. :wink:

I need to get it apart and make some space now... :roll:

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The elusive Brown label MAF is on it's way...weel done Dan aka "big red bus" :ok

Long term, I'm looking for something else to go in there or at least an after market engine management system. Maybe a nice 993 is what's required :rofl

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I have it in my hand :D The elusive 2260AA190 / A36-000R61, "B" brown label MAF! :ok
The option is always there and it's tempting...an easy and reliable 200 ponies with a few tweaks 8)
Last edited by silverbullet on 06 May 2011, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I'm itching to get this fitted this evening (out on the lash with old school mates last night, bit ropey this morning 8)
Note the trimmer pot next to the socket:

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Fitted the MAf, got all excited and... the battery is flat. :roll:

Arrrrghhhhh! :evil:

I can't take much more of this...I need to get something runnning properly :cry:

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

Hahaha! I hate that... There had to be something. Wouldn't you rather have the battery flat, than the MAF not fix it? Charge it up, crank it up! VroooooooOOOOM!
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

It runs! :D Code 49 gone, replaced by code 35 "purge control solenoid inoperative" but who needs that anyway?
I think I need to re-set the throttle pot as it now (almost) backfires when the throttle is blipped :?
Getting closer and feeling a lot happier :D

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ran out of petrol on the drive! Damn the massive SA fuel tank and a sloping drive :x
Jack it up to level, put 10 litres in, repeatedly prime the fuel rail and we're back in business. Time to get tuning!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

So...what the hell is that pot with the tamper-resistant disc on the MAF for exactly? CO trim?

I went for a sneaky wazz "round the block" in the bus (twice to make sure) and :D :D :D Baby is this thing ever as quick as I remember! The speed! The noise!
The police car going the other way just as I gave it the beans in 4th :shock:

Idle return is nice now that I've got the throttle switch setting bang on, with some handy info I unearthed. It's from a very early Subaru Legacy manual but not one that I've found as a full service "book" in pdf.

But the idle won't go below 950. I'm starting to suspect the stupid Yank f'off monster tach but the engine sounds like the indicated speed i.e. just a bit quick. Everything's been earthed that I think should be and it will rev easily to 6k both in neutral and in 1st/2nd/3rd/4th gear so it's not a NPS or MT/AT identifier fault.

No air leaks either. Maybe I need to fit a VSS after all? There's not much else left...

syncroparge

Post by syncroparge »

Glad to hear that you have the correct maf, there hard to find!!!! Any way I had to fit a vss as mine it used to cut out on the overun. I had to fit a Smallcar one as my van already has the vss pickup in the speedo for cruise control, it all works ok now apart from.... full throttle espically up hill it stutters (overfueling) but I can live with that for the time being. I am converting to lpg at the present time and will see what its like on gas. Keep us posted. ... Brian PS don't know what the screw is for...

Allanw

Post by Allanw »

WELL DONE!

they can take a while to stabilize the idle after being sitting a while - I thinkk as the ECU learns, it sorts it out a bit - don't fiddle TOO much just yet :-) My old legacy did that everytime I reset the ECU :-)

Congrats on having it running though!
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks! Now that is interesting to hear on both fronts. The old thing definitely needs using now (plus it's got curtains and the comfiest rock and roller fitted) so maybe a few more discreet runs out and about to settle the ecu then go and get it MOT tested.
I do wonder if the temp sender is iffy, but it was in range for both cold and hot. I think that I will get a VSS as they were definitely fitted in '92, this one is probably 1990 and the ecu has a feed for it, so I may as well.
The engine also used to have a full-throttle/full load missfire (pushing 95mph in 5th on the flat) which would disappear if I lifted off the throttle a whisker, so only time will tell if that symptom has gone with the AA190 fitted.
I now need to look at the distinctly "first attempt" coolant plumbing that it's always had, some of the joining pipes look a bit too scaly to be trusted...I might just go for a turbo water pump and use the chargecoler connections for the heater return, as I like to use as many standard parts as possible.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

I'm interested to read of 'stuttering' at full throttle, as one of the few remaining issues with my conversion (2000MY EJ25 SOHC) is a similar issue at WOT under certain load conditions. It happens so rarely in normal driving I've not really done much investigation other than to monitor it via ODB. This shows the ECU shutting the injectors down at near WOT. I posted about this on VWKD, and received some good advice which I've yet to follow up, there are some graphs to look at, the URL is http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3703.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004