Engine Identification Help Please!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Prazeanbeeble
80-90 Mem No: 9842

Engine Identification Help Please!

Post by Prazeanbeeble »

Been looking for a 1Y for a week or so, as my KY has gone bad. I've done the swap before, and, i've managed to find 2 Seat Inca engines, both are identical apart from 1 has a power steering pump.
I've done my homework, but, i'm slightly troubled.
From what i can gather, Inca's used only 2 engines, the 1Y and a SDI type (AEY or similar).
These engines have mechanical Bosch pumps (cable operated) and do look like 1Y's..the dipsticks are in the right place (so that rules out AEF).....BUT.....
They do not say 1.9D/TD on the Block.
They say 1.9D and MEXICO.
What's the craic here? Is it just a 1Y with a mexican hat or what? Are the Seat 1Y's built in Mexico?
So, it has a mechanical Bosch pump, and, the only engines used in Inca's with a mechanical pump is a 1Y, hmm.....
Anybody shed some light on this?? :?: :?: :?:
If the engine 'aint in the back, it's cack!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Engine Identification Help Please!

Post by Aidan »

can you find the part number on the head could be AYQ engine which is a 038 rather than the 1Y etc 028

Prazeanbeeble
80-90 Mem No: 9842

Re: Engine Identification Help Please!

Post by Prazeanbeeble »

AYQ is a SDI engine too, the engine i've seen is not SDI....looking at VagCat has convinced me it is a 1Y.
If the engine 'aint in the back, it's cack!