AAZ conversion can you help!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VWGeoff
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ conversion can you help!

Post by VWGeoff »

Hi Ive got a VW Golf 1.9 TD engine sitting in my van now. But we aren`t sure where these two pipes are supposed to be connected to, so can someone please tell me. Can you tell me where there radiator to thermat pipe `T¬s off to as I`m sure it goes to oil filter housing, but not sure which of the two pipes. Next I have another water pipe problem, the pipe from radiator to near injector, Goes to top of expansion bottle. T`s off at oil filter housing but again which pipe do I have to cut and attach it to, As both oilfilter outlet and inlet have already got pipes on them? Thanks for your Help Geoff. :)

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: AAZ conversion can you help!

Post by ringo »

I look through some old photos later to see if i can find one for you.

Maybe you could post a photo of your engine bay so we can see what the problem is a bit more clearly?

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

VWGeoff
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by VWGeoff »

Thanks ringo I`ve sorted it`s water pipes now but can I ask you. Is yours a aaz turbo or non turbo diesel as I have a non turbo 1.6 diesel exhaust, that doesn`t fit my golf aaz turbo td non ecu. So now wondering if any exhaust will fill straight onto it. Haven`t got her started yet got to bleed diesel through. Pump has two wires on it one for fuel soleniod and another electronic cold start (not sure whether to run a live wire to cold start perm or temp.).

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

Hi VWGeoff,
of the 1.9 diesel engines commonly transplanted into the T25, AAZ is TD, 1Y is non turbo
The 1.6D exhaust won't be good for you, too much backpressure (baffled silencer & too small a diameter) you want to use the fitting from the donor engine that connects to the turbo and then get the rest of the pipework fabbed up, to include a flexi is a very good idea too.
Check this out:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75673

I haven't bothered with the cold start on mine - even in the last winter where it got down to -15C, should be fine without.
Regards,
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Im kind of guessing you need a JX exhaust manifold instead of the AAZ one. This will enable you to install a standard JX exhaust. Otherwise you need to get an exhuast custom made to fit the AAZ exhaust manifold/turbo. As said before, the 1.6d exhaust is no good for an AAZ.

I think that was what you were asking....

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.