1.6jx to 1.9na

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spritely

1.6jx to 1.9na

Post by spritely »

Louey, I understand you've done 1.6jx to 1.9na conversion - is this dead straightforward? I assume the na is not turbo. Any key points would be gratefully received - also where do you source one of these?What were they widely used in? Any thoughts gratefully received. This t25 belongs to my old chap and I'd dearly like to get it going for him again.

MacWilliam
80-90 Mem No: 1871

Post by MacWilliam »

I know i'm not called Louey, but i'm sure he will tell you that NA stands for "naturally aspirated". So you are correct in saying that it is non turbo.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

right spritely

the 1.9 is almost identical to the 1.6. Try looking at Seats Toledos, cordobas or any VW in the early to mid nineties.

If you can, test the engine running in the car it is in first!!! Look for leaks, smokey exhaust etc. Diesel are of course sometimes a bit smokey on start up - especially if they have been standing, but lots of constant smoke then walk away.

Prices I hear you ask? £250 - £400 try asking on classifieds too. Fitting will require a decent trolley jack, 2 would be better, an engine crane and chains/ropes will make like very easy.

Always change the cambelt if you know very little about the donor engine - its a DIY job (honest) and will save any tears if the old one is duff.

Last couple of things - you'll need to use the sump, manifold, exhaust, oil cooler, alternator off old engine (probably forgotten something).

Oh Yeah before DH gets in with it SPIGOT BEARING!! get one and your engine and Gearbox will last more than a few hundred miles. Might be a good time to replace the clutch and check/change gearbox oil too.

Pop on here again if you need any more advice
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

spritely

Post by spritely »

Cheers Louey
Sounds fairly straightforward, all this aaz stuff seems a bit complicated - who's in a hurry anyway.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

no worries - I got your email but was too lazy to reply since I had just typed all of the above in :wink:
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀