INPUT SHAFT QUESTION

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

reggie1andy1
80-90 Mem No: 5939

INPUT SHAFT QUESTION

Post by reggie1andy1 »

hI,

I am in the process of converting my 1.6 jx td to a 1Z TDI, do i need to change the input shaft?

many thanks,

Andy

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Re: INPUT SHAFT QUESTION

Post by langb20 »

if you are keeping the whole setup as per TDI (flywheel, clutch and clutchplate) then yes you do need to change the input shaft so that the splines match.
Don't forget to put a spigot bearing in the nose of the crank too.
I don't think the JX setup (115mm clutch) is up to the task as the TDI has sooo much more power/torque.

Alternatively, some people keep the JX input shaft, and use a WBX clutch - (128mm I believe) the splines match there. for this option you need to use the TDI flywheel & clutchplate. Note backplate on engine side will foul the flywheel as there is a band of metal on the back of it, have to fab something up or see if brickwerks are selling any

Regards,
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

reggie1andy1
80-90 Mem No: 5939

Post by reggie1andy1 »

thank you very much for you assistance,

Andy

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

No problem, just noticed the measurements I quoted were out - I meant 215mm for JX and 228mm for TDI/WBX arrangement. you get the idea though - more area = more staying power
good luck
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive