Alternative T25 Diesel engine.

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Seb Brady
80-90 Mem No: 9395

Alternative T25 Diesel engine.

Post by Seb Brady »

After a long hard battle for part searching we cannot get our engine repaired for our E reg Type 25 1.6 litre diesel water cooled. We are now looking into getting a replacement engine for the van, preferably around the 1.6 mark but if there is only larger available then we shall go with that.
We have been told a VW Bora engine might work but neither my Father or Myself are very mechanical minded; this is why im opening out to everyone on here because you will all know more than me!!!
If there is a list on the internet of engines that can fit the type 25 can someone please point it out?
Or if someone on here has a replacement engine of another van or car that fits and is relatively cheap can you let me know?
If anyone has any pointers can you please reply to me on an email as this forum is unfortunately blocked on the computer i mostly have internet access (thank you work :? )
My email for best contact is:
seb.brady@hotmail.co.uk
I shall check the thread here as quickly as i can,
all help is widely appreciated thanks ever so much!
Regards
Seb
VW Transporter Type 25, 1987 E reg 1.6Turbo Watercooled Diesel

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Re: Alternative T25 Diesel engine.

Post by big red bus »

most popular would prob be 1.9td AAz fitted in some mk3 golfs and b4 passats from around 92-95

1z tdi found in passat 94-96. Also found in some seats.
1y 1.9n/a not to sure what these are in to be honest.

Bora engine is alot more complicated to fit and will not directly fit your existing g/box. Have a search there are loads of peolple done these conversions on here.

Seb Brady
80-90 Mem No: 9395

Post by Seb Brady »

When you say '1z' what do you mean? or '19.td AAz' sorry im not technical, its all jargon to me! Could you please explain :P
Regards
Seb
VW Transporter Type 25, 1987 E reg 1.6Turbo Watercooled Diesel

carpmaster
80-90 Mem No: 7658

Post by carpmaster »

Hello Seb..

Please give Wiki (A wealth of experience and knowledge) a go and look hard on the posts...you will get your answer...I have found if you give it a go and show willing...club members will help you the best they can...good luck :ok

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Have you read the first post in this forum. http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=194 :wink:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"