White smoke on cold start

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chappers
80-90 Mem No: 8150

White smoke on cold start

Post by chappers »

Hi

Just had a AAZ (1.9TD) conversion done on the van, runs really well. Problem is on cold starting it pumps out white smoke (approx 3-5 secs) and takes a while to tick over correctly. After it does tickover, there is no smoke even under load. The garage couldn't connect up the original choke cable (from a 1.6TD)as it was too short to connect to fuel pump, water looks good in engine. I am hoping that finding and fitting a longer choke cable will richen the mixture up on cold starts and remove the 'red arrows' effect. Can anyone suggest any fixes, or where i can get an extended cable from , i have tried Brickwerks!

cheers

Chappers

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Re: White smoke on cold start

Post by v-lux »

Don't worry about the cable. It's not a choke, it advances the timing below 2000rpm to help with cold starting.

But in this case it's not relevant as your engine should start with no problem without it.
Sounds to me as though the timing is out, it's very easy to get the fuel pump one tooth out on the cambelt when doing a change. My money would be on the pump timing being out.

Get the garage to check the work they've done, they really should have given you your van back in a proper state!

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

What was the outcome of this in the end?

braceuself
80-90 Mem No: 9345

Post by braceuself »

i had this problem with my 1.7 diesel and it turned out to be the cold start.
swansea valley boyo i is isnt i?