could be a 1y or 1z?and special bolt?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25DREAMER
80-90 Mem No: 0

could be a 1y or 1z?and special bolt?

Post by T25DREAMER »

Hi i need a cambelt for my 1.9 diesel ...not sure what the engine came out off...could be a 1y or 1z
would the belt fit from this fit...?1.9 sdi volkswagen, v reg caddy ?
also what and what size is the special socket i need for the bottom pulley...looks like a star bolt?
cheers
T3 1.9D

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Re: could be a 1y or 1z?and special bolt?

Post by langb20 »

19mm standard socket i believe
if you have a mechanical pump, would probably signal 1Y (if no turbo) or AAZ if turbo - both are 1.9 it will have '1.9 D/TD' stamped on the underside of the block. 1Z is usually ECU controlled however can put on a mechanical pump. the cambelt is probably the same for all - best to give a numberplate or engine number to your supplier to be sure you get the right part... and sometimes they even get it wrong with that info! - there are two types of tensioner, you want to be sure you have transport to get back to the shop if they give you the wrong one, best thing to do is lock it all up, remove old bits and take them to the shop and you can see what's what :ok
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

T25DREAMER
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: could be a 1y or 1z?and special bolt?

Post by T25DREAMER »

Lookslike the 12 sided star job
1.9 D on the block
How do i lock it up...or can i mark the pulleys positions with tipex etc?
not turbo
mechanical pump...may be a 1Y
T3 1.9D