How to fit a 1y exhaust manifold to a t3 exhaust, ideas?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thehosepipe
80-90 Mem No: 0

How to fit a 1y exhaust manifold to a t3 exhaust, ideas?

Post by thehosepipe »

And another question. Sorry folks...

The exhaust manifold from my 1.6d has slightly burnt out on one corner. The face mating the engine is not flat. So there is a slight exhaust leak even with new gaskets. I have the manifold from the 1y engine thats in the van, but the bore of the exhaust is wider which means that the join between downpipe and exhaust does not match. The 4 bolts on the 1y have a wider spacing than the stock exhaust.

So as I see it I have some options.

1 - standard 1.6d manifold from a scrappy
2 - machine the face on the old manifold
3 - find an exhaust that fits the 1y manifold, or an adaper that allows a standard enhaust to fit.

I prefer option 3 as the engine will flow more freely, but does anyone know how it can be done? For example does it have to be custom or can adapters (or even exhausts) be bought that will fit?

Thanks for any advice!
Al
Master of ugly doug (aka kampy)

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: How to fit a 1y exhaust manifold to a t3 exhaust, ideas?

Post by camper »

Done this 1y exhaust manifold conversion to 1.6td exhaust box very recent.I made up a flange plate to the manifold alernative is to use a 1y exhaust down pipe flange ie cut off from the pipe.Took the van to a long life exhaust centre for £80.00 made up a stainless down pipe to fit between manifold to exhaust the flange plate i supplied to them .

thehosepipe

Post by thehosepipe »

Hi Camper

So you had a bit of the original 1y exhaust and cut and welded that to a new stainless exhaust?

Al

camper

Post by camper »

When i fitted the 1y engine i fabricated the 1.6td down pipe to fit between the 1y exhaust manifold and the 1.6td silencer.It was only supposed to be a temp solution i made up a flange plate to bolt up to the manifold then cut&shut the down pipe then welded to fit .The down pipe i made to the 1.6td silencer lasted two years then it started to blow.I contacted long life custom exhaust centre and they made up a stainless steel pipe to fit between the 1y manifold and the 1.6td silencer .To bolt up a custom made down pipe to the 1y manifold you need a flange plate made or one off a 1y exhaust system.

thehosepipe

Post by thehosepipe »

Thanks, got it.

I think for now i will make up an adapter. Spent a fortune converting the engine and box. But i like the custom stainless exhaust plan for the future.

Al

camper

Post by camper »

If you look on ebay there are exhaust pipe sections stainless or mild steel.I considered making one to fit you need to work out the bend & straight section & size of pipe .If you search the forums others have done it them self using there own resources.To save time and getting the job done nr my location longlife custom exhaust did the job in two hours .