Cambelt tensioning help and advice please

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thehosepipe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Cambelt tensioning help and advice please

Post by thehosepipe »

Hi all

I have a late type 1y engine which uses an AAZ style automatic tensioner. The oil pump pulley on this engine is 12 cm diameter when it should original was 11cm, I had to scab one from my old 1.6d as the pulley on the 1y was cracked. This means that with a new cambelt and tensioner on and the tensioner on its loosest setting the marks on the auto tensioner show the belt to be slightly over-tensioned. However the mark on the tensioner is only 3 mm from where it should be, so its not a lot. Cambelt can be twisted 45 degrees on its longest run without much effort.

My gut feeling is that this will do and its not overtensioned enough to matter. Does anyone have any advice or opinion? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Al
Master of ugly doug (aka kampy)

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Cambelt tensioning help and advice please

Post by colinthefox »

Who do you think is going to put their name to saying that what you propose (using the wrong oil pump pulley) is OK? Not me!
The world is awash with scrap VW diesel engines whose owners have not done the right thing with their cam belts. Seriously, I'd get a pulley off one of those.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

thehosepipe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Cambelt tensioning help and advice please

Post by thehosepipe »

Lol! A fair point...
Master of ugly doug (aka kampy)