Diesel pump priming advice

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thehosepipe
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel pump priming advice

Post by thehosepipe »

Ive almost finished my first major upgrade, a 1.9 1y engine and 5 speed ass code gearbox to replace a stock (very oily) 1.6d with 4 speed. So far so good, I now have the engine starting and have gone forwards and backwards about 3-4 feet. fantastic. better get the water pump and alternator hooked up so I can go further!

The 1y pump had not been used for a long time and was bone dry. A fast bump start would not prime it, even taking the cambelt off and using a drill to spin it at 2000 rpm did not prime it. I was starting to suspect a duff pump. After a bit of advice I put on a low pressure fuel pump (my poor spitfire) inline before the diesel pump and got that pushing diesel in to it. Bit more spinning and instantly its pumping. Cambelt back on and engine running, phew!

Anyway thats the advice, diesel pump being a pain to prime? Cut the fuel line, put in a low pressure electric fuel pump, get it pushing diesel. Once primed the electric pump can be removed and pipes rejoined.

Hope that helps someone, it set me back more than a day and a half!
Master of ugly doug (aka kampy)

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Re: Diesel pump priming advice

Post by sciroccotune »

Should have a hand primer bulb inline to prime. This and a bit of loosening the inlet banjo to let air out as you primenwith hand pump. Just done a similar engine and started first time like this.