Bell housing

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonysbus
80-90 Mem No: 525

Bell housing

Post by tonysbus »

Hi i'm swopping from a 1.9 petrol to a 1.6td i need to swop the bell housing and input shaft . Question is how do i swop the input shaft.

Thank's Tony :ok

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Bell housing

Post by colinthefox »

Drain gearbox. Remove the bellhousing (new gasket required on assembly). On the input shaft there is a circlip. You will need a pair of circlip pliers with straight nose (really you will!). Remove the circlip up the shaft. Pull the reverse pinion towards you. It is also the coupler between the input and internal shafts. May be difficult to grip the pinion, in which case a bent bit of wire or a magnet will do it. You can just get the pinion far enough back to be able to unscrew the input shaft if the diff is in exactly the right place. Slide pinion on new input shaft and screw new shaft on fully (make damned sure it is fully screwed in place, end butting up to end) then turn back one spline so there is a few mm of side to side play on the input shaft. Slide the pinion back and install the circlip. etc. etc. Done
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Tony call me if required :rofl

tonysbus
80-90 Mem No: 525

Post by tonysbus »

Thank's guys.

Tony :ok