Two types of Diesel Engine bars?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sassy
80-90 Mem No: 8491

Two types of Diesel Engine bars?

Post by sassy »

Hi,

Done a search and got sidetracked for a few hours!
I can't find anything under the search.

Basically we bought some engine bars to convert 1.9 petrol WBX van to a 1.9 diesel 1Y.
The engine bars we have don't appear to match any mounting points on the van.
The ones we have are one piece, the rear mounting plate is flat and welded to the bar.
My father in laws Diesel conversion has the other type of mounting bar with a cylidrical 'mount' at the rear mounting plates.

From a bit of research on google images it appears there are 2 different types of engine bar.
Is one for an original Diesel shell and the other will only fit Petrol shells?

The only solution we can see is to weld several plates into the van to make secure mounting points in the right place.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Two types of Diesel Engine bars?

Post by Aidan »

difference is early and late, the late ones have the plate at the back and the chassis has a plate fitted only on diesels, along with the battery tray, the other ones are the early version for the early n/a diesels which use the Aircooled 091 gearbox, shells are different slightly
you need to cut the plates out of a scrap diesel van and weld them into your shell, or buy them from VW/classicparts
you will also need the rear half of the gear linkage for diesel and the gearbox mount for diesel
you're mad imho, keep it petrol, quiet and smooth and spend the money you'll spend on the conversion on petrol and go camping

Jon o
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Jon o »

I had this problem, i converted my 2.1 to take a Golf gti engine. I Found the off side fitted fine, so i copied the front mount and made a plate then welded it to that bar.

hope this helps

Jon

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Hi sassy heres a couple of picks of the rear of mine, the whole rear panal is of a petrol so relocated a pair of mounts to take the engine bars,
and as shown in post above, you may have to add a bit to the bar to affix the chassis
mike

sassy
80-90 Mem No: 8491

Post by sassy »

Thank you for your replies my dad made a plate up for it