a selection of adapter plates.......

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

have at look at these for some ideas........

http://www.tiico.com/vwadapters.htm

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

I didn't realise so many engines could be fitted so dodgily.

Sadly I don't have my bargepole close, so I'll just steer well clear of them...
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

dink

Post by dink »

what's so dodgily about that, they look OK, bigger pics would help, i seen worse adaptor plates

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Tom
Please give us all a technical breakdown of your reasoning on not using these particular adaptor plates. Some engineering knowledge with good practical backup... i.e. testing faults, bad design etc would be great.

I'm sure the company would be happy to listen.

MG

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

Cheers Mike I've been listening to trained and time served engineers for some time. Curiously I'll choose which monkeys I advise of what I've learned and you're not one of them.
Diamond Hell

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Enough or someone with a slipper will be along boys
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

......oooops i fell of my chair.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laughin on the floor now...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

missusjen

Post by missusjen »

"HEY, LOOK AT MY CAR"

I bid you farewell.......for now.......

bobbitchin
80-90 Mem No: 2632

Post by bobbitchin »

hi all
could some one please tell me what is wrong with these plates
as ive bought a kep one from tim at hsl racing

im not trying to start a fight!

i just need to know if anyone on here has had something go wrong with one

many thanks
bob

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Bob,
You have PM.

Most people on here have some knowledge to back up their claims

And before anyone has a go for me saying this, my question to Tom was one which I feel was needed after his claim about the "engines could be fitted so dodgily"

I wasn't the first to ask the question...

MG

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

Well Mr Bitchin there's nothing inherently wrong with the actual adaptor plate. The issues commonly arise with the implementation of the powerplant and ancilliaries around that adaptor plate.

Take for instance your KEP plate as sold by TSR, which IIRC be installed with a welded flywheel rather than a milled one. Has this been burst tested? How thoroughly have the welds been crack-tested? It'll probably be OK, but why buy a solution like that when you can buy a UK made bellhousing that enables you to use almost all stock VW/Subaru parts in the highly stressed clutch area?

Another issue with adaptor plates is the problem introduced by moving the engine away from the gearbox. In one noteable solution two thrust bearings are welded together and to make the adaptor plate fit bits of a diesel bellhousing must be chiselled off.

Probably the single largest issue surrounding an engine mounted on an adaptor plate is actually making the mounting system for the engine. Unless you have very comprehensive mikanikal nolidge and spend the time to develop a correctly engineered engine mounting solution. I've spoken to TSR and I know they recommend making your own from the subframe of the Subaru - not the BEST solution.

To make a well-engineered mounting system you need to ensure that the engine and box are at the right height when installed, aren't twisted in the vehicle and are in line longitudinally. Ideally this needs a jig as you can line all of this up and then when it's welded up the distortion will pull your carefully aligned frame out of true.

Basically fitting up an engine using an adaptor plate will provide you with a very large number of substantial challenges and the opportunity to get a large number of things wrong, which could result in your vehicle running less than optimally, or worse still simply not being safe.

I'm sure other people will be busily running me down to you (and anyone else who will listen) and telling you I know very little etc etc, whether you pay them any mind is up to you. :roll:
Diamond Hell

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Now if you'd said that the first time round, rather than a sharp pointless remark, I'd have left it well alone...

MG

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Thats good - you're both playing the game

Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

missusjen

Post by missusjen »

"HEY, LOOK AT MY CAR"

I bid you farewell.......for now.......

scoobyvan

Post by scoobyvan »

[quote="Diamond Hell"]

Take for instance your KEP plate as sold by TSR, I've spoken to TSR and I know they recommend making your own from the subframe of the Subaru - not the BEST solution.

[quote]

just like to say tsr DONT use a kep plate,and can you explain your reasoning for adaption of the subaru engine carrier/subframe not being the BEST solution.

cheers for any replies :D