Golf Mk1 Gti Engine (DX) Help Please

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Golf Mk1 Gti Engine (DX) Help Please

Post by bmouthboyo »

Hi there,

I have a camper van that has had a DX Kjet engine put in by a previous owner. It has been sat still for about 7 years so I am currently fixing her up ready for summer.

I have just replaced the water pipes as they were rusted to bits and now want to replace this bespoke pipe that goes from the flange on the side of the head with the thermotimer down to a hose leading to the hot water radiator feed. It has halfway down it has a nipple that had a hose attached to the header tank, but it has rusted off. Pic:

Could anyone tell me how you have connected this lot, or a link to alternative parts I can use?

Would I be looking at a lot to ask a fabricator company to knock this up?

Thanks
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: Golf Mk1 Gti Engine (DX) Help Please

Post by garyd »

Hi,
I'm not familiar with this particular engine but the metal pipe has the look of 'original equipment' about it. Do you know where the engine originated - ie what vehicle it came from? It might be worth taking your pics to a VW parts place or posting them onto a GTi forum such as this one.

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Post by sciroccotune »

Not an original part. Looks like it was just made up to do the job.

Can you show us the other side of that pipe?

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

I would say it was knocked up to do the job as well. Looks like an aircon pipe connector fitted on the pipe, (black cap over it) best bet would be to get new pipe made up or repair that one. take it off and stick a pic up of pipe on.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks for replies all,
Here are a few more pics from different angles:

Has anyone put a similar engine in there bus? and if so do you have any pics or links to what you use?

This deff looks custom as it has weld marks. Unsure if its too rusted to repair really so a bit stuck.

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

Never really seen on of these in a van. Sounds like abit of an odd ball but hey. That pipe looks very similar to a pipe fitted on all rover K series engine 214, 25 45 etc runs around the back of the block to thermnostat housing. There is no out let on it though but that could be added in if your handy with a welder. How friendly are your local scrap yard. Always go and trawl around under bonnets, see what looks the same.

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

what I was meaning is that there is a original part rubber pipe that looks a lot like that that connects to the flange you showed (oh err) in the first picture and then to one of the long pipes that run to the front.

Im guessing the previous owner just had to make something up to fit the job - maybe the original part would work just fine.

iirc the top of the rubber pipe im talking about goes to the front water flange, there is an outlet halfway down for the oil cooler then possible the a thin pipe to the expansion bottle and finally to one of the long pipes that got to the front
:)

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Thanks for help all,

I have not had any luck lookign about online for anything alternative, and in other cases of pics of gti engines in T25's they look more complicated with hoses and clamps all over the place.

I have emailed a few fabrication workshops locally so hopefully one will sort this out, possibly in SS :)

anyone know what kinda figure id be looking at?

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

hope you get sorted mate.

remember that all early 4 cyl engines had basically the same water systems so you should be fine to get hold of some pipes. I have a DX engine in my scirocco and I'm fairly sure its the same as the diesel in the van water outlet wise.

I will be putting up a few pics of my engine in my engine conversion post if you need to see the pipe lay out.

best of luck

cheers

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

i had these made from jp exhausts (google them and you will find them) made from stainless steel (38mm eternal bore) , i sent them the drawings and they turned up 3 days later. they cost £65 +vat and p&p, they look longer than what you need, so yours should be cheaper, just to give you a guide.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

axeman

Post by axeman »

these sorry about that

neil

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

having had a closer look at your original picture I realise that you are not using an oil cooler (normally fitted above the oil filter). If you were which would probably be a good idea (and you have the plastic pipes running forward to the radiator) you could use the standard diesel hose as at brickwerks (http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

axeman wrote:these sorry about that

neil

Any chance of your plans for these neil? so i know what I need to produce.

Regarding oil cooler I think on this mk1 engine you add a mini radiator to the two large bolts on the top of the oil filter housing.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Any chance of those plans neil? just to know what kinda detail i would need to send them

Thanks

axeman

Post by axeman »

sorry only just loged on.

these were what i had made for my van and i have instaled a b230 engine, it was just to give you an example of what can be made quite cheaply.

neil