Few questions about Tdi conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ourkid

Few questions about Tdi conversion

Post by ourkid »

I'm currently running a Mk2 golf which i converted to AHU Tdi a few months back.It's been a fantastic tool so far,i made a few tweaks (fitted a Vnt-17 turbo from a PD150,race 520 injectors,FMIC and re-map)It produces about 170 BHP with loads of torque and goes like hell still giving superb fuel consumption.

I found a low mileage motor and fitted new clutch/cam belt etc.Although i've always been a fan of Tdi's,the Mk2 just isn't "doing it for me".I have no real love for the car.I used to have a T3 Holdsworth and the only reason i sold it was because the 2.1 Waterboxer was too thirsty for everyday use.
So my plan later this year is to find a nice late T3 and use my golf as donor vehicle for a conversion.
I will search this forum as i'm sure it's been covered over and over again (i would appreciate some good links though please)
I've heard that i'll have to use the vans original gearbox and maybe modify it internally.I live close to Simon at Central vw so i'm hoping it's something he can do.I want to prepare the van as much as possible beforehand so that the swap is straightforward.This is where my research starts.I need suggestions as to a good choice of donor (would a diesel van be best?),and all the parts i will need to take off the golf.

Could a T3 box handle 170bhp ok?,would this make a vehicle capable of towing a large caravan?

looking forward to my new project

Thanks,
Ade.

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Re: Few questions about Tdi conversion

Post by langb20 »

Hi Ade,
Yes best to start with a diesel van (pref. TD - as sump has drain hole for turbo in it) you then have all the right water hoses, engine mounts, bellhousing, wiring to dash for glowplug light, larger radiator. Having said that, there are usually quite a lot of diesel conversion parts knocking about for sale on here so if a good condition petrol van came along, worth a look for sure
need to consider (from the top of my head, there are probably more things that I forget right now):
1. choice of mounting angle 15deg as in car = need to raise the engine decklid for it to fit, or 50deg as per normal diesels in T25.
2. location of intercooler (usually behind L/H cluster - but needs airflow/fan or watercooled option)
3. throttle assembly if staying ECU controlled,
4. mounting clutch/brake switches for ECU to see,
5. L/H engine mount - your AHU turbo will hit it (at 50deg mounting), need to get a different manifold (AAZ - 1.9TD possibly) so that turbo is out of the way.

Unfortunately no gearbox produced for these vehicles is built for the low rev range of a TDi, gearbox code 'AAP' is the longest 5 spd, 'DK' longest 4 spd (though from an Aircooled so mods to linkage etc. - messy, but do-able) both are getting rarer, and chances are, a rebuild with longer 4/5th will be required, figure £1000+ especially if you're planning on slamming 170HP through it. larger rolling radius wheels will only get you so far in reducing revs
Fuel consumption will be approx 40mpg given the aerodynamic tendencies of a 2tonne brick, depending on hightop/load carried etc.

Not at home currently where all my 'favourites' links are, but there's a wealth of info here, put a brew on and have a browse searching
Good luck with the project, loads of fun :ok
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: Few questions about Tdi conversion

Post by Cableguy »

Consider putting a 4.14. Crown and pinion in the box.
That'll make it much more drivable. Cost £700.
Otherwise your engine will run out of revs, even with a longer 5th.
Then you won't have to faff around with bigger wheels.