Time for 1y

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Time for 1y

Post by sciroccotune »

Hi chaps,

Time for 1y I think!

I will try and get loads of pictures to help others as I go.

Everything I need is sitting in my yard as we speak and I'm about to see what I can do today (it's snowing a bit!)

In the mean time anyone got the link to the definitive thread that used to kick about?

Cheers for now

sciroccotune

Re: Time for 1y

Post by sciroccotune »

The batt is flat - bugger.

* mental note to fit a system to allow leisure batt (it's a normal starter type) to power starter for this kind of situation.

This thread is very helpful but took ages to find as it's for an aes not 1y but lots of the info is the same.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... ine#428158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

Might be Big Dave's thread your thinking of...

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the one I'm following for fitting mine. My engine is now as ready as it can be without the parts off my old 1.6D. I'm waiting for the weather to improve a bit before I rip the 1.6 out though! :oops:

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

Hi Gaz,

Yep that's the one, between that one and the one I posted about the AES conversion that should be all the info any one needs.

I got the van up on the ramps yesterday after the battery charged so its ready for the weekend to start removing the old motor.

Remember to get a new spigot bearing for the 1Y as it doesn't have one in the car application - this is why I'm doing mine as the last owner did not do this and I decided to do the whole engine while the clutch is out!

I'm going to change the belt while its out of the van and I am sticking with the newer ribbed belt set up as I have alternator etc. I have heard some bad stories about not clutched pulley on these but will look into a clutched alternator at a later date.

let me know how your conversion gets on.

Cheers

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Gaz, I didnt know you were going to stick the 1y in?, Ive just had a week round the lakes with the 1.6na :shock: hills, big hills and lots of them, I just happen to have a v ery nice 1y I took out of one I broke earlier, all complete with nice alternator etc so Im thinking shall I bang it in tommorow? as no work needs to be done to it,
Im trying to talk myself into the effort required for what gain???
mike

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I don't think theres enough gain to warrant changing an engine unless the engine in the van has gone or is about to go.

Personally i was pleased with the 1Y but i was sad i lost some MPG as my 1.7KY engine was awesome. However, the KY engine completely went so i didnt have a choice.

However, if you have that itchy feeling because you're bored - then swap it :) - I know that feeling all to well :lol:

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ahh Ringo you ARE being persuasive, you used the word GAIN :shock: this is the holy grail to a 1.6na :rofl
mike

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

Hi chaps.

The 1y is in and running along with a newer altinator and newer style sensors. I also did gear oil change and loads of other stuff. Anyway I will get the write up done shortly and I will also report back as to the gain I feel I have got - it's a nice easy swap and Initial tests are good :D

sciroccotune

Post by sciroccotune »

Sorry guys still haven't got the pics sorted but will get there.

It's all up and running, very sweet just needs a slight timing adjust as smokes a bit of White smoke on start up, then again could just need a good run which I will do first before any changes.

Any way I'm going to offer my old 1.6d in the for sale section for free if you can picknup.

It was a good engine only replaced as I wanted more power, ran well etc

Pm if interested..

Pics and guide will come soon :)

palmtree

Post by palmtree »

metalmick8y wrote:Gaz, I didnt know you were going to stick the 1y in?, Ive just had a week round the lakes with the 1.6na :shock: hills, big hills and lots of them, I just happen to have a v ery nice 1y I took out of one I broke earlier, all complete with nice alternator etc so Im thinking shall I bang it in tommorow? as no work needs to be done to it,
Im trying to talk myself into the effort required for what gain???
mike
have you still got the 1y engine as i am looking for one, cheers

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

yes its mine Mine MINE keep your mits off :rofl
sorry but I do need it mike

palmtree

Post by palmtree »

no worries mate, dont want to step on anyones toes,
so if anyone out there knows of a 1y let us know,
cheers

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Its no toes mate and your not stepping on any :D just me trying to be humourouse and failing
mike

palmtree

Post by palmtree »

does that mean it is available ? i am treading gently ! lol

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

No. :D
plenty in breakers yards, and not too dear, just a bit of swopping parts about and your there,
whereabouts you based.
maybe start a thread as this is now encroaching on the o/p
mike :ok