sb its new to me

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wazza
80-90 Mem No: 8862

sb its new to me

Post by wazza »

hello all on my endless search for a new engine for bob ive come across an engine with a sb code???
1.6 td early 90`s now question??
1..will this fit in place of a jx 1.6td
2..are they any good
thankyou
think i need a bigger hammer

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: sb its new to me

Post by ELVIS »

Fitted 2 SBs. No probs, IIRC wre fitted to last of Golfs (poss GTD) and passat 1.6s before AAZs came along.Have what is referred to as GTD nozzles.
Have the better pump than the JX as have the top mounted LDA. Everyone bangs on about GTD nozzles but yet to find any eveidence of flow rates/nozzles sizes on any forum though.

Why the change? If yours is stuffed then SB is easy fit, if JX is fine and you just wanted something a little better i would say just buy a GTD pump and fit that to a JX IMHO

wazza
80-90 Mem No: 8862

Post by wazza »

thanks for reply
mines dead and just and want a easy swap thinking of aaz but worried about all the overheating questions being asked then this engine came up :idea:
think i need a bigger hammer

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

SB=80bhp, AAZ=78bhp. SB has bigger valves, beefier conrods, and thicker rod bolts as well as uprated pump and nozzles. IME it gets hot too and needs an oil cooler, plus should be fitted with an intercooler really, as in orig vehicle. SB turbo has a water-cooled bearing housing, but you can bin it and use a K14 or whatever as on JX.
Some pics etc: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic19160.html
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004