AHU turbo removal

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattyGreg05
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3049

AHU turbo removal

Post by MattyGreg05 »

just wondering if anyone has any idea where to find, and how to remove the turbo from an AHU engine?
got a manual but its for the AAZ engine :(
I need to find out what the part number is asap but no idea what the turbo will look like or where to find it.

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: AHU turbo removal

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

follow the exhaust back until you find the outlet to the turbine of the turbo. You're best off undoing all 8 exhaust manifold bolts, the turbo oil feed, return feed, fresh air input to compressor, and undo the outlet pipe from compressor to the intercooler, then of course the exhaust downpipe. You can then decouple the turbo from the exhaust manifold once it's out. You'll also need to disconnect the EGR valve - whereever you think is easiest. I find it's easiest to undo the allen key bolts on the flange to the inlet manifold. You'll get a fair bit of oil dripping from the oil lines - I drained my oil before I did it last time. On your engine if it's an AHU then it'll be a 028 145 701J if it's the KKK turbo - you might find it's the Garrett which is one of these:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

available recon from various turbo dealers here and often appear on auction sites. You might want to think about getting a set of gaskets for the EGR and exhaust manifold for refitting - you can reuse them, but they're pretty cheap and probably worth replacing.

Did you diagnose your problem that you described previoulsy? As I said on the last post - worth checking the intercooler pipes first before you go condemning the turbo - it's nice to know how people get on with the advice they're given, particularly if you start a completely new related thread.

Ewen

MattyGreg05
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3049

Post by MattyGreg05 »

ewenmaclean wrote: On your engine if it's an AHU then it'll be a 028 145 701J if it's the KKK turbo - you might find it's the Garrett which is one of these:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ewen

Cheers Ewen, i forgot to mention that the engine is that of a mk3 golf tdi i own so its actually in that car. does this make any difference? and would it have an intercooler??

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

it makes a difference in that I've never removed one from a golf! The engine won't be at the same angle I reckon as in the T25 so it might even be a bit tricker to get at some bolts on the exhaust manifold - not sure.

Ultimately the procedure I said to you remains the same though. It should have an intercooler yes - the pipe clips on these are probably the vw type which spring back in rather than jubilee clips, so get yourself a good pair of molegrips - those thing are lethal! If it's definitely an AHU engine code then it should be the KKK turbo - once you get it off there'll be a part number. I'd be interested to know if it was - telling the AHU and 1Z apart without an engine code is pretty hard, but supposedly the turbo gives it away.

Good luck with it

Ewen