Do you need to take out the wardrobe to do engine swap

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rhm
80-90 Mem No: 8710

Do you need to take out the wardrobe to do engine swap

Post by rhm »

HI Guys

These are probably really thick questions so I apologise in advance, just a point raised by my garage ready to do my 1Y transplant.

1. Do you need to take out the rear wardrobe in order to get access to do the engine swap?
2. How do you best gain access to the 'snorkel' to get the cold airflow through to the engine?

My van is a westy atlantic high top, and I intend keeping it n/a using the 1Y inlet manifold.

Many thanks

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Do you need to take out the wardrobe to do engine swap

Post by colinthefox »

You won't have to take the wardrobe out unless it covers a fair portion of the engine access hatch area. Plenty of room to swap for a 1Y.

To gain access to the snorkel, take off the left hand high level grille, and the snorkel is right behind it. Pull the plastic air scoop forward off the two steel tabs, then pull the whole lot up and out. The bend at the bottom is held in by two rubber mounts, just unscrew.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.