converting 1.9 dg to diesel

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gazc
80-90 Mem No: 7943

converting 1.9 dg to diesel

Post by gazc »

hi

we have a 1986 1.9 dg T25. its a great runner but just considering converting to a diesel to keep the costs of the longer trips down, maybe a turbo if it can be done.

just to get my head round whats needed/what we need to look out for please could someone point out the basics needed for a petrol to diesel conversion? i've looked on the wiki but can't find anything that covers this

we have a diesel bellhousing that we got cheap as a starting point, thought it would be possible to keep the gearbox from the petrol in there and just replace all the diesel specific parts, engine, wiring, fuel system etc - is that along the right lines?

also we have a 2001 ford focus 1.6tdi which could be a donor engine if it fits but i don't think it would, so ideas for engines that would be easiest to fit would be good too

thanks! :)

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: converting 1.9 dg to diesel

Post by eatcustard »

Sell van buy a diesel, why spend ££££££ converting it, as you will probably not recoup the money spent.

LPG it is a far better option
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

at the top of this forum is a couple of threads about convertions..

Also.. fitting anything thats not been done before is going to be painfull and costly, but you may strike semi lucky with the focus engine as the 1.6 is a peugeot/ford joint development that may have the same bolt pattern as the earlier engines.. and Billy "numbers" has done a few Pug convertions..

But as said.. you'll have to weigh up the cost and graft against Lpg ing the 1.9 and in both cases how many miles you will actually do...

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

personaly if you are going to do it look for a good 1Y non turbo diesel from a mk3 golf/caddy they are a nice engine that seem to last well.
not expencive to buy.
will bolt in with almost all standard "diesel t3" parts.

its what i should have done on one of my projects along time back...
if you are going from petrol to diesel its the one i would go with as its a vw engine.

non standard engines can be good but inless you intend to keep the van forever/or untill it passes to the scrap yard in the sky , non standard engines canmake it harder to sell in the future..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough