1y conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

1y conversion

Post by kit »

Hi guys, long time no post but I need advice again :oops: is there a definitive guide to the 1y conversion, I know there have been many many posts on the subject but I was hoping to find something I could print off to show my mechanic mate before we start, thanks in anticipation :D
1y Tin top rust collector.

rhm
80-90 Mem No: 8710

Re: 1y conversion

Post by rhm »

Hi Kit, looking for exactly the same information myself so will be watching your post with interest. Ive just secured a 1Y from a Seat Ibiza off ebay, changing up from a very smokey JX.

What engine are you converting from?
Are you intending to leave it n/a or turbo it?
If n/a, are you looking to use the 1Y inlet manifold?

I like the idea of keeping it n/a but my mechanic is a bit worried about the mods required in the engine bay to make room for the 1Y inlet manifold. In an earlier post to my thread, Caveman made a very sound recommendation for the 1Y manifold to get the best power from it, much better than keeping the JX manifold set up, gets more air in.

I also understand however that the 1Y off the Seat is likely to have the oil squirters like an AAZ so I might be tempted to use my JX turbo.

Richard

kit

Post by kit »

Well it is in, the CS out and striped the 1y in place connected up, now how do I get the engine lid down :run

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

The sticky up bit needs modifying. Dead easy to do with a grinder and a welder - or just buy this if welding isn't your bag...

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... yword=pump

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

kit

Post by kit »

What is the grinder for, cutting a hole in the lid? :D