Fitting a 1Z engine.

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Fitting a 1Z engine.

Post by Al Housman »

Hi. I recently posted a query qbout my AAZ engine which has started playing up. I think that I have probably got seized piston rings in the cylinder furthest from the oil pump given that the problem occurred when going up a very steep road, revving a fair bit, and probably with slightly low oil. The engine runs but without power. There's white smoke from the exhaust which I reckon is unburnt diesel.There's too much pressure in the engine. There are no bubbles in the coolant tank even when revving. No water in the oil so I don't suspect head gasket.

What this leads up to is that my local breakers have a 1Z engine 83K miles at a reasonable price. Am I right in assuming that I can put the manual diesel pump from the AAZ(I only fitted this lastyear!) on to the 1Z.I am guessing that it won't deliver the 90HP it should but I'm not really that bothered.Everything else should just swap straight over (manifolds with turbo,oil feeds etc).

Would the performance be pretty much the same as the AAZ given that it would have all the same bits on ?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Al Housman

Re: Fitting a 1Z engine.

Post by Al Housman »

Looking around it seems that some people don't like the 1Z. I've also seen comments about needing a different engine mounting bracket. Is this only for later 1Z engines?-the one I've seen is a 1996,one year newer than my AAZ and looks very similar.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Al
depends what it comes out of, but it's TDi so electronic pump management or get a pump built go mTDi, but less revs than AAZ so won't really suit unmodified gearbox.
Diesel boys don't talk it seems
WBX rule :ok

Al Housman

Post by Al Housman »

Aha. Cheers Aidan. So if I use the mechanical pump etc from the AAZ it won't perform like the AAZ. That's what I need to know-I need to get the vehicle back on the road and don't want to be spending too much time messing about with ECU etc.

Al Housman

Post by Al Housman »

Oh and it's from a 1996 Passat.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

If i was going to replace the 1Y engine in my van i wouldnt use a AAZ or VW TDI .Why not fit a petrol engine then gas it.Heres a link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0532993415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can use the diesel bellhousing & angled sump and engine mounts but a loom and ECU is needed for this engine. Less of a problem with 1z engine revs requiring custom gearbox .

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

AAZ pump wont run the TDI. AAZ works a 155 bar and TDI 1Z at 190 bar.
Russel

Al Housman

Post by Al Housman »

Many thanks for your comments. I'll leave the 1Z in that case. If anybody else is interested in it please PM me and I'll send you details. Interestingly I hadn't considered converting to petrol/lpg before.