Reccomendations for conversions?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Re: Reccomendations for conversions?

Post by T'Onion »

fall-apart-dave wrote:
T'Onion wrote:Dave is your gearbox cable or hydraulic controlled ?

Cable controlled, chap.

You can bodge the cable to a hydraulic controlled gearbox , but to do it properly your going to need the master cylinder and new pipe work.

Have a look through Grumpy Midgets post , Geoff went from A/C to Diesel
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

fall-apart-dave
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by fall-apart-dave »

T'Onion wrote: You can bodge the cable to a hydraulic controlled gearbox , but to do it properly your going to need the master cylinder and new pipe work.

Have a look through Grumpy Midgets post , Geoff went from A/C to Diesel

Yes I had in the back of my mind about the hassle of hydraulic clutches.

I think this will be a slow one, engine swap and taller tyres in the first instance, then source the gearbox and associated parts. The thing I don't want to happen is for this to turn into a long term, off the road project. I can do an engine swap in a few hours, no issue there (done enough swaps in enough cars now :lol:). Then I can look for the gearbox and parts, source everything I need and then do the swap. Or I could buy a 2 litre van and break it... But then of course I don't have anywhere to break a van etc. ARGH! :lol:

The cable operated gearbox from this van does mean it is desirable for the Baja and budget drag racing lot, lot of people doing scooby conversions looking for T25 gearboxes.

I shall have a look at the thread, thanks for the heads up!
'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.'

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

I'd go down the 2.0lt A/C engine and gearbox route .. or the Subaru route :twisted:
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

fall-apart-dave
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by fall-apart-dave »

T'Onion wrote:I'd go down the 2.0lt A/C engine and gearbox route .. or the Subaru route :twisted:

:lol: You want to see me divorced before i'm amrried, don't you..?? :lol:

I've found a 2 litre engine complete and turn key... Now I need to find the money to buy it... I need to sell something... Like my motorbike... :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.'