Reccomendations for conversions?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fall-apart-dave
80-90 Mem No: 0

Reccomendations for conversions?

Post by fall-apart-dave »

I've seen a few names floating around for various engine conversions, but I was wondering if anyone can persoannly reccomend someone?

I have a 1980 CT powered Devon. Now, I want to use the van a lot, for long trips, so fuel economy, longevity and availability of replacement parts for reasonable money all factor into it.

I am open to petrol or diesel, I'd prefer deisel but willing to listen to reason and consider the options.

So who is out there who can do a "drive in, drive out" conversion, with a proven track record? Or, failing that, what "off the shelf" kits are available for a DIY fit, if any? I am quite handy with the spanners but I get sidetracked very easily, and do silly silly things once I have a vehicle in bits and I don't want this to turn into a major project.

I'm after a few reliable options I can consider, gather quotes from, and talk to, and like I said, would prefer people who have a good reputation who have recent work out there that folk are happy with.

Wo is out there?
'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.'

Eta-Beta

Re: Reccomendations for conversions?

Post by Eta-Beta »

Talk to Mitchell bros, they do a good Supply and fit.
T25 Vanaru EJ25

fall-apart-dave

Eta-Beta wrote:Talk to Mitchell bros, they do a good Supply and fit.

Who are they? Are they on here..? Or is this an Eastenders joke?
'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.'

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

before you start

drive in drive out , dont look for much change below £3000 and you could possibly add another couple on the price , depending on your engine

a cheap quote will get a naff job , and i seen a few!

there is a lot of work to convert an Aircooled properly , full dash out , complete new wiring loom ,fuel tank out, brackets welded in place ect - technically your van is different to a water cooled

easier to start with a watercooled van

fall-apart-dave

Fuel tank and dash out? New loom? Out of interest, why is that?

I'm looking around for build threads of successful conversions, not seeing much yet though...

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

for a proper job - tank to fit/secure the water pipes
new loom will be better than adding wires for temp gauge / oil gauge/ alternator signal / fan wire ect

dash out for heater / wiring loom - new dash pod with temp gauge

you can bodge it , take a couple of days , throw in an engine , who needs a tepm gauge? or a heater but you will just end up trashing a good van and making it unreliable.

also you WILL need to swap your gearbox or you will have a brilliant hill climb van!

if you go watercooled gearbox then you will need the gear shift rods as well cos the aircooleds are different!

if you must keep your van because its very good condition ect then best advise is to buy a water cooled van , swap all the parts over , but like i said this will involve a big strip down of both vans - this is however quite easy for anyone who knows these vans.

fall-apart-dave

Thank you for the advice chap :)

The van is in very, very good condition all things told, it's a very nice Devon van. How different are the ratios in the 1600 and 2 litre gearbox? Would taller tyres be enough to bridge the gap?

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

there are a couple of 1.6 boxes , you will need the code , the worst seems to be doing
3500 rpm at 56 mph
4500 at 72mph!

dk 2.0 box
3500 rpm is 71 mph
4500 is 92mph

so you can see the differences

even if you put 205 80 16 ( landrover ) tyres on the rear of the 1.6 box it will only do 3500 62mph / 4500 80mph

not sure if the 1.6 will pull a dk box

perhaps a 2.0 engine and box conversion , that will get you overtaking and the gearbox end sorted?

faggie

Post by faggie »

why not just fit a 2.0 Aircooled engine and box , if you really want to go watercooled speak to spannerboy he comes highly recomended

fall-apart-dave

Yes i know Spannerboy from VZi, have already chatted with him about engine swaps.

As for the gearbox, I'll get the code when I am back in the UK. 4th gear seems a long one though, I have to get the revs right up in third to get it to pull in 4th otherwise the engine just can't cope. I've not actually managed to get it up to top speed yet so don't know how comfortable the revs sit at what speed. I don't mind the van being a plodder, what I do mind is the thought of driving long distances with the van fully loaded on that little engine and having to change down to 2nd or even 1st to get up hills :lol:

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Dave is your gearbox cable or hydraulic controlled ?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

billy739
Trader

Post by billy739 »

even i have to go up hills in 2nd sometimes-
spain/italy in mid august - 4 berth hightop fully loaded , 4 people and a trailor/caravan fully loaded

no rush just dont stress the engine and it will get there!

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

billy739 wrote:even i have to go up hills in 2nd sometimes-
spain/italy in mid august - 4 berth hightop fully loaded , 4 people and a trailor/caravan fully loaded

Is this the peugeot engine ?

fall-apart-dave

T'Onion wrote:Dave is your gearbox cable or hydraulic controlled ?

Cable controlled, chap.

fall-apart-dave

billy739 wrote:even i have to go up hills in 2nd sometimes-

Well, I guess you are right :lol: Still I'd feel a lot better with a stronger engine in there. We are planning on a trip over the the Lakes to see how it does (it's not that far from us) and if that goes well, we're wanting to head over to France later this year maybe. There will be 4 adults, though the van won't be the primary accomodation so will be travelling slightly lighter (using Eurocamp so the van will be used for sleeping for two adults and possibly our daughter, depending where she wants to sleep, but that's it) but will still be loaded heavy.