auto transmision cooler, who and where?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Eta-Beta

auto transmision cooler, who and where?

Post by Eta-Beta »

Ok, mid way through a subaru transplant on a auto box. Now standard set up.uses coolant fluid through a cooler on end of gearbox, now I want to set up a separate circuit away from the coolant system. Smallcar do a system I know of, just wondered if any one local does a kit similar , or where to resource the needed parts from. Any info appreciated.ta
T25 Vanaru EJ25

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: auto transmision cooler, who and where?

Post by toomanytoys »

Conversion going well then?

Not a cheap solution, but a davies craig ewp coolant pump (small one) with controller (mount thermal switch/sensor on the oil cooler on the box) and a motorbike rad and fan..

With the sensor/switch on the cooler, when it gets hotter the pump will switch on circulating the coolant.. the rad should have a switch mounted in it already, so should control the temp automaticaly when sitting in trafic too..
only problem I can see is avoiding big temp swings and allowing the trans fluid to get up to normal operating temp..

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

Hi mate , thanx for that very interesting info, yes its going ok, but very slow. the outside temp is slowing me down along with the big freeze we had, i been painting bits that i can , the parts that is.. only really just these last few days got a bit done.. scooby engine is out and about to undergo a clean up, manifolds been in house and ready, coolant manifold done, adapter and flywheel fitted, starter revamped and fitted, so just been doing some of the plumbing ready and atempting to clean the engine bay up. RJES should have completed my loom last week,, so should be collecting that soon. this transmission cooler is puzzling me abit, need to do it cheapest way poss at moment ,whilst no funds coming in. ist problem is the couplings, not sure of thread and size to hose , also looks like the thing has to be lowered of mount to fit. duno, never ventured into this area before, cheers Ash
T25 Vanaru EJ25

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

Got a remote mocal cooler and pipe work on mine. No need to lower the box mounts. got 2 elbow unions onto pipework and then into cooler mounted behind n/s tail lamp on the flat piece of body. Have 2 12v fans mounted on cooler to help keep thing cool when it gets alittle hot. Had pipe work made up at local pirtek. Any hydraulic hose place would do these and cooler was from local performace car parts shop. Think total cost was around £100 for the setup.

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

lol, ive just replied on yard, should have visited here 1st.
T25 Vanaru EJ25

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

very interesting,, you say remote? also how may fins on cooler should i be looking at getting? so with the fans,which must be 12volt,is this conected to some sort of temp sensor somewhere? cheers Ash
T25 Vanaru EJ25

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

would anything like this be ok? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T25 Vanaru EJ25

big red bus

Post by big red bus »

Sure that is the same or very similar to the one I got. Have just dug out receipt, mine was a235mm 13 row cooler 1/2 bsp male fitting. still need to go and measure thread size for you. No switch fitted to fans yet thats on my todo list when van back from paint. Got them from maplins, think they are pcu fans but worked well and are boxed in.

big red bus

Post by big red bus »

oil cooler thread size m12. can measure for defo and get thread pitch if you need :ok

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

That's great Dan , thanx for that info, just today got my loom back , and rev counter( 7000 rev converted), very well done, so nearly got all the parts now. Still need a air intake , and speed cable. And of course cooler. Cheers ash
T25 Vanaru EJ25

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

ok, ive just orderd a 13 row mocal rad with 1/2 bsp fitting, whats your thoughts chaps on putting one of these in line? as ive heard i need the oil/atf to warm up to operating temp to start with and not be cooled straight away ,,, will this do the job you reckon?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mocal-Oil-Stat-1- ... 3481wt_905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T25 Vanaru EJ25