expanshion and catch tanks

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

expanshion and catch tanks

Post by axeman »

is there any one that is running a sealed cooling system? been talking about the cooling system with a few people and no one and the general conclushion is that vw were paranoid about any water loss with the wbx at least, dont know about the heavy oil burners, hence the catch tank and the darlic cap, on moder cars the expanshion tank is only half full at the max level, with the rest of the space in the tank for when the water gets hot and expands (with in the tank).

i have been looking in the scrappy today at mk4 golf passats ect at the round sealed fish bowl type and they sceam to fit the bill to the engine convershion that i will be doing soon, as the cooling system on the new engine is very simple, ie from the pump to the rad, and then to the thermostat input, with an out let from the block to the heater. could use the t3 one with the catch tank, any one got any thoughts.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

DentedDevon
80-90 Mem No: 1747

Re: expanshion and catch tanks

Post by DentedDevon »

Just got one of fleabay for my van.
Looks big when you put it in the engine bay, not much room with the V8 in there :)
As I'm raising the floor it should work out OK and will connect up to the coolant level warning light as well.
1986 Devon Caravette, Subaru 2.5 Quad Cam

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: expanshion and catch tanks

Post by toomanytoys »

Forget the "norm"
the T25 cooling system uses the "top up" tank as its expansion point..
In a "modern" (read as "normal") vehicle there isnt the amount of rubber hoses to absorb the pressure.. both my "DG's" barely create enough pressure to bleed the rad unless its hot and been worked hard...
In my scoob, perhaps 3 4 or foot of rubber hose.. in the T25.. ooh... 9+ the heater hoses at 14 each way.... dont forget that a modern vehicle holds 6L of coolant if you are lucky.. the T25 is 17L+...