AAZ issues

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

AAZ issues

Post by Al Housman »

Doing uplifts for my lads at the downhill biking track at Llangollen today which involves a long steep drive up a road on which I need first gear most of the way. On the fifth run the engine seems to overheat and stops. No red lights,oil seems ok and water is in main bottle but has drawn it out of reserve. Try starting and it will run but feebly. Manage to coast back down to Llan (so RAC can find me more easily) with oil dripping off engine (it's had a leak but I've kept it topped up). RAC patrol thinks oil leak is due to air pressure in engine and that hydraulic tappets may not be working properly-suggests I get recovered and then sort out breathers. Start it at home. Starts and ticks over ok. A bit rattly on slight throttle but revs ok but then fades to rattly tick over and dies. When driving it up the road it will accelerate but when foot comes off the gas the engine stops.

I've got the AAZ breather on rocker cover which goes to turbo air in and also to the sump. Is there likely to be a problem with this? You can definitely feel air pressure when you take the redundant oil filler cap off rocker cover.

Could I possibly have an oil pump problem to affect the tappets? Oil pressure seems good but could sustained use uphill have starved the tappets in some way.

Or is there perhaps a blindingly obvious reason which I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated since is the hedgelaying season and I need the Doka to be ok.

Cheers. Al

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: AAZ issues

Post by syncroandy »

Hi Al, you have a PM.

Andy
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D