ADY (Sharan) engine swap for syncro

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

ADY (Sharan) engine swap for syncro

Post by silverbullet »

I've been doing a bit of information gathering - I even joined IG 16 forum in Germany - to try and move this along in theory before the ol' Shazzer gets the chop when it runs out of ticket in May :twisted:
Still trying to work out whether to go for the diesel-style "lay it on it's side" install or try and go for the "almost upright" SA fitting, to avoid messing the ADY sump about...
A few pics and rambling thoughts about the ol' shonkro here:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and Gary's syncro Gti engine swap thread, he's sent me a load of info. Top man!
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum ... ?TID=52300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

further
80-90 Mem No: 13454

Re: ADY (Sharan) engine swap for syncro

Post by further »

Im busy with a ady convertion on a 89 carrevelle petrol., at 20 deg. custom mounts, adaptor plate, and carrier.A mate has a 2.0 L golf in his
syncro at 20 deg very happy with it. It does have a raised lid though. i like the standard engine position keeps everything staight forward
and easy to work on, Im amased at the space in the engine bay. cheers
90 caravelle
82 combi pickup............................you are either on the bus or off the bus

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Can this conversion be done with a JX diesel bellhousing flywheel & clutch. Could the JX engine support mounts on the diesel bars be used .Thinking about doing this my self then a lpg conversion.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

camper wrote:Can this conversion be done with a JX diesel bellhousing flywheel & clutch. Could the JX engine support mounts on the diesel bars be used .Thinking about doing this my self then a lpg conversion.
If you've already got a diesel then it's a whole lot easier. You've got virtually all the bits you need apart from the fuel pump and wiring pretty well (see the bricky thread I mentioned above)

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

further wrote:Im busy with a ady convertion on a 89 carrevelle petrol., at 20 deg. custom mounts, adaptor plate, and carrier.A mate has a 2.0 L golf in his syncro at 20 deg very happy with it. It does have a raised lid though. i like the standard engine position keeps everything staight forward
and easy to work on, Im amased at the space in the engine bay. cheers
How's the conversion going? Got any pics of the engine mounts and carrier yuo have made? I was wondering whether it was worth getting a set of 5-cyl mounts, carrier and bell housing (or copying the ones on my 2.6 Microbus)
I have been told that a 20 deg install is possible in a caravelle syncro with a low engine cover, but the Sharan inlet manifold might be a bit tight as it goes over the top of the cam cover.

further

Post by further »

This is the syncro mount and carrier and checking photo
90 caravelle
82 combi pickup............................you are either on the bus or off the bus

further

Post by further »

there you go, got it in on the weekend. the mountings, carrier and adaptor plate all fitted perfectly ,
and well made.Im impressed, what do you think.
90 caravelle

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Outstanding! The offside mount looks complicated...What's the clearance like on top? I don't want to get into raising the hatch as it will affect the usefulness of the Caravelle (the Mrs is only 1.5m tall so loading shopping in would be a struggle...)
How thick is the adaptor plate? I guess you kept the ADY flywheel and clutch but had to fit the WBX ring gear for the starter.
If you've got more pics of the syncro install I'm sure we'd all be interested :ok

further

Post by further »

the adys we are using are jap imports, so no fly wheel just flexplate from auto units. there is a local engineering workshop
that makes the flywheels complete and also all the other bits, engine mounts, carrier,adaptor plate and raised floor at a
reasonable price. the clutch remains the same and you have to cut 8mm off the spigit shaft to mate engine and gearbox.
I have loads af pics, will post more shortly.
hows the arctic air, my daughters in london missed her flight on sunday and can only get another on friday.
We were supposed to leave for the coast today, so we are waiting for her and now will be leaving on cristmas day
cant beleave how this wheather has screwed every thing up. anyway will be away for 3 weeks and wil carry on
in the new year with the conversion. keep moving or you will freeze over. :ok :)
90 caravelle

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

We're getting a bit of a thaw just before the 25th but it depends where you are in the country. It's not amusing and I have to remove my syncro gearbox for an urgent rebuild - what a time to do it!
Thanks for the info, the more the merrier. I'm pretty sure that I'll go the adaptor plate route now, I can machine that to suit once I can offer up the engine c/w clutch. I could do with an idea of dimensions for the support tube as I don't do tube bending (but I know a man who can) and my conversion will be complete with all ancilliaries inc. pas and a/c for future additions. The ADY from the Sharan looks identical to your one as far as I can remember.
How has your mate re-worked his syncro engine skid plate? Does it tie in to the new support tube? The Sharan has an alloy sump so I really need to protect it well.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I did a bit more tape-measure and finger-in-the-wind investigation the other night and what with the pics I got from "further" and Matflint, I reckon that the ADY will indeed just go under the standard engine hatch at ~20 degrees and the crank centreline at the standard wbx height, but I will need a metal engine lid with the foam cut out in a few strategic points to clear the cam cover and inlet manifold.
Were these metal lids fitted to certain models or export only? (the small window SA has one)
Thanking you as part of the Big Courtesy Campaign :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

metal lid is most common, only late caravelles were fitted with the fibreglass lid

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks Aidan, these oddball buses that we own mean that I struggle to work out what's "normal" :lol:
One good plastic hatch going to market...