AAZ temperature issues

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Essex Nige
80-90 Mem No: 5870

AAZ temperature issues

Post by Essex Nige »

i have recently fitted an AAZ all was fine but now i have a temp issue, the temp is fine 1 minute then red light flashes and the temp goes up all of a suddonwhile the temp is high the the heater is still blowing hot, and when i turn the engine off i don't get the boiling sound like ya do when an engine is over heating, the rad is warm so the water is going round the system water pipes are hot but not so hot that i can't touch them nor are the hard.

This happens with or without a thermostat...

Any ideas?
1988 syncro 1.9 AAZ, 1984 Doka 1.9 1Y, 1980 Aircooled camper 1.6CT (resting)

Syncronaut Member: 149 :D

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another..."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: AAZ temperature issues

Post by Aidan »

wiring fault, sender wire is being earthed out somewhere ? That will cause red light and needle to go to max

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

Aidan wrote:wiring fault, sender wire is being earthed out somewhere ? That will cause red light and needle to go to max

I'll take a look, when i take the wire off the sender, it all drops down and the light goes off which i suppose it would... could the sender be fooked?

"We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another..."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

could be, really you need to know what temp the engine is at, one of those point at temp gauges will tell you the temp of things, if that says engine at 100 degrees but the guage at the dash is at max and red light on then sender is foobarred.
I had this once with an early diesel van and couldn't get to the bottom of it, temp was fine but dash said otherwise, 2 dashes, 3 genuine vw senders, still the same; customer just learnt to ignore it, van still going strong
obviously system bled with heater on so no air in system and good darlek cap holding pressure so coolant can't boil ?

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

Aidan, the cap is holding pressure fine, i've ordered a pointy thermo thingy hopefully be here tomorrow, the air lock theory is a goodun even tho i thought i got the air out but maybe not, i'll keep the thread updated
:ok :ok

Essex Nige

Post by Essex Nige »

Essex Nige wrote:Aidan, the cap is holding pressure fine, i've ordered a pointy thermo thingy hopefully be here tomorrow, the air lock theory is a goodun even tho i thought i got the air out but maybe not, i'll keep the thread updated
:ok :ok

After a play i think it was an airlock, i've driven it around for an hour or so, at speed and slow speeds and the tempreture stays steady if not a little low. it has an 80 degree thermostat which i suppose will keep it a little lower than normal :ok

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Post by langb20 »

Hi Nige, you're not alone, I have the exact issue, my AAZ (with 80C thermostat) ran fine with the needle bang-on halfway, creeping up a bit when hammering it up hills (oh the joy)
But after an engine flush and drain, filled back up and now I'm getting the needle hanging around 1/2 to 1 needle width left of the middle. Initially I did have the light come on when going round a corner, and the reservoir level was actually dropping. This turned out to be a slight leak on the front-to-back pipe - had used a spring clip thingy instead of a jubillee.
Now it's done up tight and I'm not losing level any more, but temperature shows still below half way and maybe creeps up to half way when booting up hills.
It does suggest that maybe I may have an air lock somewhere. Heater is hot (seemingly not as hot as pre-coolant changeout, but hard to tell with my memory) and Rad doesn't really get that warm - maybe with current low ambient temperatures the cooling through the heater is enough for the engine? seems a long shot. I think one morning I saw the gauge get up to halfway on the first run of the day and then (I guess) that the thermostat opened up and it stayed cool thereafter, so 'lock in the rad system perhaps.
I'm hoping this isn't going to affect long term reliability of the motor
oh and cap is new from BW

Regards,
Brent
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive