4.2 audi v8..... my next project for 2011

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jp77

Re: 4.2 audi v8..... my next project for 2011

Post by jp77 »

HI all ill be doing this project with mr patch! change of plan on gearbox, going to change to a audi 2.5 TDI 5 speed box, or a 6 speed 01x . All from audi FWD a4 TDI. also hope to use after market VEMS ecu and loom. This will allow further tuning at a later date! guess ill have to clear the drive for this new project!! still think it will be easier than the scooby twin turbo!........ hmm thats an idea, they do a twin turbo version of this engine :D

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

Not wanting to be a party pooper here, but VOSA are cracking down on this type of major conversion. When you start swapping or moddifying lots of parts they apply a points system. There's something on this on VWKD (air to watercooled conversion forum) Don't quote me, but from memory i think its:

chassis mods = -5
engine swap = -2
suspension swap = -2
gearbox swap = -2
axle swap = -2
steering swap = -1

so starting from 14, you need to score at least 8 to retain your numberplate, anything less and you need to submit it for an IVA test, and a Q plate. So any chassis mods effectively mean you're only 1 point away from having to get a q plate

Dave

jp77

Post by jp77 »

thats about right for this day and age! just have to be a out and out track beast then!! Failing that ill just sva it and have a"Q" plate, no biggy to me. im not doing it to sell on at a later date. Just because i want to see it done, ive loved helping out on the twin turbo conversion, and i feel this is the next step. VOSA wont stop me, just slow things down a bit... but not stop :twisted: watch this space :D

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

'Just SVA'ing it isn't so simple. SVA was replaced by IVA a few years ago, and basically means the vehicle must meet modern standards, and covers items that weren't a consideration 30 yrs ago when these vehicles were designed. Things like minimum radii for leading edges, steering wheel spokes and dashboards etc. Basically, a T3 will stand no chance of passing unless you do a shed load of work.
That nice edge just above the headlamp grill? Won't pass
Gutters down the front door edge? Won't pass

Just food for thought before you spend loads doing the conversion and can't use it

Dave

jp77

Post by jp77 »

yes, your prob right on sva ing a t25!! i was thinking that if all i was doing was moving the engine and gearbox around , and only fabing up new mounts etc,then going by that point system all should be well, ive seen cars modded much more than this that are road legal. The twin turbo flew though the mot with out any bother! If all else fails, it will become a fully spaced framed stripped out track weapon,That should upset alot of people! either way its going to happen :twisted: ps, do you think a v8 T4 would pass a SVA? maybe next year! :lol: