1Y timing curiosity

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

1Y timing curiosity

Post by gaz f »

Hi Guys,

I have been stripping/prepping my 1Y engine for fitting into the bus using mainly Big Daves excellent thread and have came across a bit of issue.

I have set the timing to TDC in readyness for changing the timing belt but if the camshaft slot is set level with the locking plate then the pump locking pin hole is only half visable with it really wanting to go anticlockwise a bit to line up perfectly.(Maybe 1 tooth?)

I also noticed the pump sprocket has been adjusted clockwise or forwards a fair bit off centre as there are 'shiny' marks where the bolts used to be.

This engine came with receipts of work done and the pump had been set up shortly before being removed from the car.

Now should I aim to keep the pump where it is or shift it back so the locking pin can go in when I change the belt?

I've done a search online but can't find anything relating to the actual adjustment of the pumps sprocket? :?

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: 1Y timing curiosity

Post by camper »

I have fitted a 1Y engine to my van .When i replaced the cam belt. I found TDC V notch & pointer through the bung hole in the bell housing and cam slot at the rear of the cyl head locked with plate inserted.The timing sprocket on the bosh fuel injection pump has a slot for a pin to be inserted & locate in a hole behind it to keep its correct position whilst the cam belt is removed .In theory the pin should locate through the sprocket slot when the cam & engine timing are in the right position on the shaft of the injection pump for timing.To advance or retard the injection pump timing it is neccesary to undo the bolts behind the sprocket to move the body of the pump.Ive not taken a sprocket off a 1Y bosch or lucas injection pump shaft to no if its a taper fit or with a key way for a woodruff key as how it fits would effect how you set the pump timing.Dont forget to loosen the cam wheel sprocket when refitting a cambelt if you dont when you tension the belt it will effect the timing.

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Camper, I've not explained it very well. :oops:

The issue is that with it lined up at TDC and the locking plate inserted in the cam slot you can't insert a pin/bolt through the slot in the timing sprocket on the pump into the hole behind it as the hole is only half visable through the slot.

I'm wondering if it's jumped a tooth on the belt and when it was set up again they adjusted the timing sprocket itself to compensate for it (if this is possible) as the sprocket looks to have been turned clockwise a bit as there are clearly shiny areas on the sprocket back from where the bolts are now.

But then again I'm now thinking this would make no difference as the pump timing will not be effected by moving the sprocket on the pump. :?

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

I found a pretty good guide on the net last night that sort of comfirms it's jumped a tooth or wasn't put on properly in the first place.

I am also finding conflicting info about which is No1 cylinder according to pics on different sites for the various cars that had this engine.

Could someone confirm that No 1 cylinder is the one at the flywheel end? Which has a tell tale 1 stamped beside the camshaft on the head, but according to one site I was on they were showing pics of the timing belt end being No1.

I don't have a flywheel on the engine so haven't got any marks to go by for the crank. :roll:

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Hello mate, can you get your hands on a DTI (dial test indicator) ?
To set your pump up insert the DTI into the hole in the middle of the four injection pipes.
Turning the pulley clockwise you will see the guage needle rise and fall.........OK so far ?
When the pulley is just past the timing holes (ensuring that you are timing "the squirt" on No.1) turn the pulley anticlockwise
and the needle on the guage will fall and then stop moving.
At the point where the needle just stops moving, turn the pulley c/wise again until the guage reads 0.98mm from its stopped position.
Do your holes line up now ?
With TDC on No.1 cylinder
Camshaft locked
Pump in this position
On with your belt and all should be well.

Oh and assuming the engine was a runner anyway and your belt is still on then No1 pulley end cam lobes should be "sticking uppermost" ie No.1 piston TDC with both valves closed.

Might be usefull http://www.vwdieselparts.com/injtim.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.

Hope this is clear enough. You know where we are !
Someone I heard say that they time their engine by ear, thats what I want for Christmas, one of them ears
Last edited by peteabbott on 02 Dec 2010, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Abbott

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

And another one......

http://www.oneilcastro.com/A2Bentley/FU02/ch5.5.3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pete Abbott

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Pete, you a star. Exactly what I was looking for!

I wonder if my pump will line up properly now I know No1 is actually the cylinder closest to the timing belt and not the one marked 1 at the flywheel end! :oops:

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Welcome Gary. Just a thought I had today thinking about this. You really need to be sure that No.1 is at TDC so to be sure I would remove No.4 injector ...........because it is easier to get to than No.1 and 1 & 4 are at TDC at the same time although on different strokes. Poke a piece of thin stiff wire into the hole and as you rock the engine back and forth you will be able to feel TDC. Just to be clear on this you are only interested in No.1 being on the correct stroke..... I.e. both cam lobes uppermost camshaft "locked" No.1 TDC and pump set.......mark everything that moves with tippex and a pencil line. Put your belt on and tensioned then spanner the engine over a couple of times AND CHECK AND RECHECK your marks.
Vrooom vrooom !
Pete Abbott