I am on it. Another one playing with mTdi's

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

I am on it. Another one playing with mTdi's

Post by Macflai »

Hello,

I have dreaming for a long time about a 1Z engine and enjoy driving the most on time in 4th gear... Hillclimbing, downhilling, wading, parking... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bought a second hand 1Z engine from a scrapyard here in the Canaries some months ago, flywheel and oil filter bracket were missing, but the rest was ok. The guy told me it was okay because the car owner was a woman... but I usually don't trust this guys...

I was lucky because the engine was really good, don't know mileage but I dismantled the head to look for surprises... Wow, the head was in very very very good condition!, I couldn't believe it! Also Pistons and liners were perfect... Next step was take the head to a machine shop to check the surface's head and check all the threads. Was cheap and also the guy from the shop told me the head was in a very good condition. :D

I have spent "some" money asking for a G60 flywheel (for a 228mm 1Z clutch kit) in UK and asked to HA-Projekt (Germany) for 1Z input shaft

and gearbox plates...

Now the 1Z engine is almost completed, only needs to install again the head, install the VW LT injection pump (bought on ebay.de) and set the timing... The injection pump sprocket is from the 1Z electrical injection pump, because JX injection pump sprocket doesn't fit, shaft is smaller on JX's. BUT the mark on the 1Z sprocket is in diferent place, can anyone tell me about this?

The gearbox has a problem, 4th gear, and suddenly the gear jumps out to neutral... so I have to check what it is and I was thinking about buying a decoupler. Decouplers are not cheap, I need some suggestions about where to buy it and if the solid shaft is included in the kit... I have seen busschmiede kits and Bernd Jaeger kit... Help please.

No more by now, only expecting your reactions and get some help on my questions. I am on holidays now (till 13th Dec), so I have some time to finish the engine swap!
Last edited by Macflai on 14 Apr 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: I am on it. Another one playing with mTdi's

Post by Aidan »

Victor
jumping out of fourth gear is probably worn mainshaft bearing/gear carrier and now worn synchro slider and dog, even if it's just a broken selector rod bearing the fact that it pops out of gear means it wants a rebuild really, the TDi engine will only make it worse especially if you want to drive everywhere in 4TH.
Decoupler kits from syncro-services, I offer a build up service on exchange or you could get you machine shop to build up yours for you, solid shaft is seperate. Better to spend money on gearbox rebuild than decoupler, you need to do rebuild anyway to fit oiling plates and make sure you fit the input shaft properly and don't forget spigot bearing for engine :ok

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Aidan wrote:Victor
jumping out of fourth gear is probably worn mainshaft bearing/gear carrier and now worn synchro slider and dog, even if it's just a broken selector rod bearing the fact that it pops out of gear means it wants a rebuild really, the TDi engine will only make it worse especially if you want to drive everywhere in 4TH.
Decoupler kits from syncro-services, I offer a build up service on exchange or you could get you machine shop to build up yours for you, solid shaft is seperate. Better to spend money on gearbox rebuild than decoupler, you need to do rebuild anyway to fit oiling plates and make sure you fit the input shaft properly and don't forget spigot bearing for engine :ok

Everywhere in 4th was a joke, of course :mrgreen:

I had to rebuild this gearbox 4 years ago, just to change the reverse pinion gear, all the ball sleeves (because they were the cause of the gearbox failure, one of them broke and an steel ball was playing and jumping inside the gearbox), I changed some bearings and a synchro that usually breaks (don't know if it is the 3rd/4th one).

When I "fixed" the gearbox was just to fix what it was broken, and then the purpose was to sell the van, it belonged to my sister but finally I gave her my Land Rover Defender 110, so I was the new owner of the van.

Now, of course, I want to rebuild the gearbox, by myself, and do it correctly, I have to check everything and the I'd like to install the decoupler because I don't like automatic lockers... So that's all. When the van will be fixed I will drive to UK to work (I want to look for a job there, and stay there for, at least, a pair of years... Canary Islands are boring :D ) so if it breaks again I will spend 3000€ on a new gearbox... :evil:
Last edited by Macflai on 14 Apr 2012, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Well,

Engine is ready to start, but not at the van yet, I prefer to try to start it on a pallet. Why? if it doesn't start is better to work with the engine outside the van. Sure you guys have done this before. Timing has been done, camshaft I used a special tool in the back of the camshaft and crankshaft with the TDC mark, but I am wondering if the inj pump is okay... I used the old 1Z sprocket with the LT pump, sprocket has a mark on it but is there another mark in the black plate??
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Macflai wrote:Well,

I used the old 1Z sprocket with the LT pump, sprocket has a mark on it but is there another mark in the black plate??

Another way to ask the same question. Has anybody used a LT Pump and a TDi sprocket/pulley??? How did you set the timing? I have no doubt on camshaft and crankshaft, only on inj pump sprocket.

Help please.
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Thank you everybody for all the answers about my last post asking how to set the injection pump timing.

Finally I realized how to do it and I started the engine. It runs very very smooth and starts as soon as I switch the starter motor. It's awesome!
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

Macflai

Post by Macflai »

Now working on the Syncro Gearbox...

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands